Why is RPI still used for women's basketball???
by 70Dillon (2019-01-17 13:57:22)

Originally a tweet from Ken Massey but I can't link it, but if you follow the link you'll see:
#1 ND but Stanford is #2 ? Syracuse #4, Uconn #7 ? Mississippi State #9 ?

Imho using RPI seems exceedingly crazy.

Isn't it most accurate after all the games have been played? *
by goirish01  (2019-01-17 16:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. Very much more useful. But as domerduck
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-01-19 09:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

said, it's not useful for the top 10 (where irregularities develop) but useful for teams after that as a piece of the puzzle. The committee also looks at good wins and bad losses as they determine the team in the tournament. Once they determine the teams, they then have to set up the brackets, where they have rules to dictate the placement of teams and they also consider geography, attempting to place teams near their schools when possible. As Orangutan stated, they do a pretty good job.

It's a strict formula...
by cbiebel  (2019-01-17 14:46:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So occasional irregularities would tend to creep in, but why so shocked at Stanford #2? They are 14-1 with a win over Baylor and their lone loss is on the road to a Gonzaga team whose only loss is to ND.

Syracuse is a little high at #4, but not that much. Their two losses were both on the road by a total of 6 points, include a 2 point loss at Oregon. MSU is punished in the RPI for padding its schedule with crappy teams (six of their opponents so far have an RPI worse than 200). Only eight of UConn's opponents to date are in the top 100, and one of those is just barely inside. That's what's hurting them.

Why doesn't men's basketball play quarters?
by Orangutan  (2019-01-17 14:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who knows why the NCAA has one set of rules/procedures for men's basketball and different set for women's basketball.

RPI is flawed and always has been flawed but it's only one piece of the selection committee's puzzle and overall I think the committee does a pretty good job seeding the teams.

I would agree on the overall process
by 70Dillon  (2019-01-17 15:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But this is a waste of electrons

Is there a better one? The top 10 you don't need it, but
by Domerduck  (2019-01-17 17:50:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the up and coming teams and conferences need some objectivity which the RPI provides. I've watched many women's games and the RPI has been far more objective after the top 10 over the AP ranking, and even worse Coaches ranking where conference bias and past history trump the improving teams.

Stanford earned that #2 by being the only team to beat Baylor and the 1st team to beat Tennessee in Knoxville this season. Gonzaga wasn't ranked when they beat Stanford in Spokane, but that was a tough away game in a soldout arena that they lost by 6. The Zags have constantly had their RPI be better than the voter's rank. After losing to us in the Vancouver Showcase, they then beat Rutgers by 16, a current 14-3 team that is now ranked 20th in both RPI and the AP poll. Their other two losses were to Drake by 10 at the Vancouver Showcase who we then beat and at Va Tech by 4 in December. Since then they have been 6-0 in the Big 10 as their rank has finally caught up to their RPI.

I appreciate the RPI to at least help keep the voters and committee honest.