I think Jess can shoot the 12-15' shots
by Irishgambler (2019-02-09 08:08:21)

In reply to: True - but MM also needs to stop assuming Kat exists  posted by Btd

I seem to remember reading about how she even shot some 3s at Nebraska. Would like to see her try a few from the free throw area.

I have nothing but fond memories of Kat. She did so many
by sixtythreer  (2019-02-09 20:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

really good things. She was a great high post passer. She could shoot and hit about half of her 15 footers. If you got too close, and if she saw an opening, she'd drive around you for an easy layup. She could rebound. And once in a while, she even shoot a three.

Jess is a better rebounder. And I have no doubt Jess can hit the 15 footer and even some threes.
But right now she's a tad too predictable. She'll pass or drive from the high post, but she isn't
making her self unpredictable, by shooting both from about 15 feet and occasionally beyond the arc. If she'll shoot from out there even five time a game, it will keep her defender honest, and out of the middle a beat longer. Especially if she hits about half of her 15 footers - which she can do.

Of course, if she shoots from out, that reduces her effectiveness as a rebounder. But it may benefit our other four players' chances of pulling down rebounds by drawing away an opposing big. And with Jess and her defender out, few guards can out rebound Jackie.

Excellent Points in the Post.
by dillon77  (2019-02-10 07:52:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Jess can take that foul line/elbow jumper when offered and nail it.
When/if(?) Dani P. gets in, she should do the same.

Otherwise, if you put your head down and go to the hoop all the time, you keep running into a wall (insert that running into a wall emoji), like we did against Hof and Mompremier. Take one to set up the other.

And you're so right...Jackie is such a fabulous offensive rebounder, she could come in from anywhere to clean up misses. And Bri is good at that, too.

Jess Does So Much for This Team ...
by dillon77  (2019-02-09 10:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... that I think we get a bit spoiled by it all.

- She is a very technically skilled basketball player, both with her hands and feet. Many believe it was her weight (and strength derived from said bulk), that opened up space for her last year. I beg to differ: Jess sets one of the best seals in the business and that's about positioning.

- And once she gets the ball, it's lefty or righty layups, short jumpers from either side, or a fake and roll to one side of the other.

- As for getting blocked, I think that's a function of two things:
-- sometimes she gets too far down and is almost reaching back to get the ball to the basket. Easy to block those shots...it's coming to you.
-- and one of Jess' few "mere mortal" points is she simply does not jump that well.

- Even with the (over) publicized weight loss, Jess is still a sturdy post, don't fool yourself. Go the link below and look at the picture of her and Emese Hof, the Miami center that people now know. You'd pick Jess to the tight end, right?

- Oh, Shepard led all players -- Hof, Mompremier, Turner, Young -- with 17 rebounds on Thursday night. In a game with two sets of twin towers and a marvelous wing, she was the rebounding stud. Positioning, strength, will, talent.

- And we've covered the outlet passes, which have drawn praise from experts and comparisons to outlet kings like Wes Unseld, Dave Cowens and Kevin Love.

- Yes, I think she can shoot that 12-15 footer and would hope to see it. Everyone but Marina and Arike seemed to have a Pavlovian response to Miami's bigs: let's throw ourselves at that wall. Get them in foul trouble? I'll be next time we play them, we'll see more diversity in that attack.

- I watched and listened to the Muffet show, which featured Jess and Abby. Jess is plainspoken, direct but honest and caring. Funny, too. You can see the respect that MM has for her. I'll bet a bottom dollar that Jess defers a bit to her long(er) standing teammates (in ND terms).
Yet, reports are she took the loss very hard. Would think that she can take that will to succeed and express it in ways that can propel her teammates.

Go Jess. Go Irish!

Very good observations - I think she is extremely talented. *
by chicos bail bonds  (2019-02-09 15:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember all the foot/ankle issues last year with Jess?
by NDLAW88  (2019-02-09 10:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including the horrific looking one at the end of the first half of the Final 4 UCONN game, where for all the world it looked like she was not going to be able to play the rest of the game?

I don't think it's a coincidence that those issues have abated this year with the dedication to getting into better shape.

Moreover, I propose a moratorium on discussing any player's weight any more, especially with Jess - the issue has been discussed ad nauseum and it's certainly not as if she's going to wake up one day and say "ND Nation is right. I should add back those 40 pounds.".

For her health's sake Jess weight loss is excellent
by TerryND83  (2019-02-09 12:11:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and it does not affect her play. She still leads in rebounding. It's Bri that is not as good a rebounder as she was before she tore her ACL.

You and I Are In Agreement on the Last Point...
by dillon77  (2019-02-09 10:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..which is (part of) the reason I addressed some of those points. This is one highly skilled and determined athlete. And seems like a good person, to boot (the more I learn).

Total agreement. *
by NDLAW88  (2019-02-09 17:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post