Abby P: If You Look at the Court and the Scorebook....
by dillon77 (2019-02-10 14:10:59)
Edited on 2019-02-10 14:12:46

...looks like Prohaska is the player that Coach MM feels comfortable giving minutes to with her first unit (at least for this game).

- 23 minutes
- 6 points (3 of 4 shooting)
- 5 rebounds
- 2 assists
- 2 steals

The way I felt that MM was ok with her was when Muffet took Abby out after a mistake or to make a point, she didn't bury her for the rest of the quarter. She often was the next sub in the guard rotation.

The injury to Mik is worrisome (concussion protocol?). If so, I hope Dani gets a chance to spell our posts.

Nice job, Abby...As Kara Lawson paraphrased Muffet: Coach wants to sub more but the frosh got to give her the performance to justify it. This was a solid showing. Not great. But solid....

She is good on D and hustle plays, but the offense takes a
by Domerduck  (2019-02-10 14:17:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

big drop off. Both TOs were ugly and her shots were 1 and 1 pull ups, nothing in the flow of the offense. But she's better than no sub.

The only downside with Abby I see is her size. She looked
by Jon  (2019-02-10 15:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great out there to me today. Sometime D and hustle plays outweigh damn near everything else a team needs.

And her few shots, when they look that smooth and drop that easily, are perfectly fine for flow of offense.

What Abby brings to the table is what this team needs more of. She's going to be a Cable-Huffman type legend before it's all over.

Gosh Duck, I Think We View Some Things Differently
by dillon77  (2019-02-10 15:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...better than no sub at all? Really, that's as much as you can parcel out for a 23-minute stint when maybe all the subs in Miami played 23 minutes total?

Everyone knows that when Prohaska was recruited, she was expected to hustle her brains out, hit the floor, play tough defense. And in her first appearance on the floor today, she tied up Seminoles on two successive plays, resulting in alternating "jump ball" possessions.

Muffet was on record as saying she was looking for someone to change the energy level. Well, those kinds of plays help do that, particularly for a team that need to be more aggressive on the defensive end.

Plus, she also directed her energy into the rebounding front, where one of her baskets was a put back.

Lastly, what's so wrong with the other jumpers coming on pull-ups? One of them came when she helped cause a turnover, then hustled up court to receive the pass and bury the jumper.

By the "flow," do you mean the half-court offense? If so, she didn't score in that manner, but she delivered two well-placed entry passes into the posts that led to baskets. Those passes were certainly not "suspect," but distinct and with purpose and most certainly "into the flow" of the offense there.

Yes, she had an ugly turnover, but a number of Irish threw a few zingers.
(Jess threw an underhanded skip pass into a throng of Seminoles.)

Is Abby a finished offensive player? Say in the way that the injured Katlyn Gilbert appeared to be? Or perhaps Taylor Chavez shows at times for the Ducks that you see often? No. But can others bring what she does defensively and increasingly in the rebounding/mix it up area? You rarely see subs and/or frosh that deliver whole packages...otherwise, they'd be starters, no?

So, I submit Abby can add a lot to a team that has five extremely capable scorers with everything that has been described.

Now, let's see if we can get something at the post/forward level. I agree with your post below that I think MM needs to let a Vaughn (if not too injured) and/or Dani get a chance to play through if possible. And, if they're adding to the overall effort.

Also, I think that her shooting at this stage might be
by Tim Kelley  (2019-02-10 17:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a matter of confidence. As you said, she’s in there primarily to play hustle defense and rebound. Early on she seems hesitant to take too many shots. I’m guessing that her shooting along with diminishing TOs will come along. I doubt she will ever be a great scorer, but rather someone who will contribute more scoring than now as she matures as a player.

I agree she put in 23 good minutes today and we needed it.
by Domerduck  (2019-02-10 16:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are right that I am affected by watching every Oregon game as well and comparing her to Chavez who often is the first off the bench replacing Boley and the team sometime improves, especially if Erin not hitting her shots. She seems to me to be as good as Cazorla already. She can assist, make threes, rebound, steal, and score in other ways. She can effectively replace 4 of their starters in the way she plays (all but Ruthie).

My problem is when she replaces Marina, Jackie, or Arike there is a major drop off in offense. I do agree the team is just as good on D with Abby. I also think it is essential ND has someone to replace Bri and Shep routinely. The Ducks have both Gildon and Giomi who do dirty work down low and it works well. So ND may have the best starting 5 but needs the subs to be better to beat those top teams.

Well said. Agree completely *
by tedstheman  (2019-02-10 16:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post