UConn-Towson: These quotes by Geno...
by Jon (2019-03-22 19:34:12)

So I'm watching a little of this and some catch pre-game comments. I'm paraphrasing:

"I knew this day was coming where we'd have to win every game by 50 to impress anybody..."

"...and there's other teams that don't play the out-of-conference schedule that we used to play, and still play, that get rewarded for other reasons."

So, I'm just thinking, there's a half dozen teams waiting for you that ain't gonna be 50 pt wins brother. Louisville ain't Towson. ND ain't Towson. You may pull of another NC. But it's not going to be all blowouts.

Then that 2nd quote, gimme a break. One ACC game equals 5 of your AAC games.

They didn't need to win every game by 50
by cbiebel  (2019-03-22 20:48:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They needed to:

1. Not go 1-2 vs top 10 teams.
2. Not have a schedule that has 5 teams with RPIs worse than 200 (and two of those were OOC games, BTW).
3. Not have half of your top 25 RPI wins come against a team that barely made it into the Tournament.
4. Not have only 1 of your last 8 games be against a top 100 RPI team.

There Time Will Come
by hempfield75  (2019-03-23 02:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It happens to every school in every sport

Tennessee WBB
UCLA MBB

USC and Arizona State BB (Once dominated the sport)

Notre Dame and Texas, Penn State, etc, etc, etc Football

Just about everybody in the other sports

SEG/Chief

Where will it come?
by Radi-skull  (2019-03-23 08:52:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid.

Bama and USC also had long stretches of walking in the wilderness. Hopefully USC will be stuck there for 40 years.

But the constant - Michigan Sucks Forever *
by SixShutouts66  (2019-03-23 18:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is so jealous that we’re in the ACC and left him behind.
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-22 19:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And now it has cost him a 1 seed.

Anyone think the ACC will let UConn in?

He is insufferable *
by RISteve  (2019-03-22 21:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think they would need a better football team *
by ufl  (2019-03-22 19:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Getting into ACC would get a better fb team but they are so
by 70Dillon  (2019-03-22 20:26:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bad why help them? They bring no region not already covered, no money etc. Not happening without major improvement.

To kill UConn all that is needed is for ND, Baylor, LVille
by Slotts  (2019-03-22 22:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and South Carolina to stop playing them in non-conference.

Women's BB needs marquee season games
by SixShutouts66  (2019-03-22 22:43:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many viewers ignore women's basketball games unless their school is playing or there is a marquee game between recognizable names. The coaches are conscious of selling the sport, and UCONN is a huge attraction for the casual sports fan. I'd add that the schools playing top teams like UCONN benefit from a game against a top tier team. I expect that we'll keep playing them - especially since I doubt that they're going away for a while.

That may be true, but doesn't dispute my point...
by Slotts  (2019-03-23 08:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we left UConn to a shitty conference and a lousy non-conference schedule, they would go away soon enough.

Do we really want to be the Yost of Women's BB?
by Radi-skull  (2019-03-23 08:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without the bigotry at least.

They have favorable treatment because they earned it.

The last two years have shown more parity but UConn is still the brand name for Women's BB.

Keep beating them if you want them to go away/come back down from their place on the mountain.

And this is said with no love for them or their program. I would be happy if they last in the next round.

I don't believe that ND should back down from the challenge
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-03-23 18:56:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that UConn represents. And to do it just to screw over the Huskies sounds like a horrible reason. What terrible karma!

UConn fans travel well and really care about their team and WBB in general. Why destroy their fanbase (as if we could anyway)? If Muffet chose that route and a few other top programs followed her lead, there would always other teams that would not ostracize Geno and he would always have a challenging OOC schedule. And then we would have lost a great challenge that the whole sport looks forward to for no reason other than personal spite. That would diminish our program in my eyes. I love that Muffet has never backed down from Geno. Her team has never feared the name on the jersey (like most top programs) because of Muffet's unflinching demeanor. To shrink away from a challenge now would be the wrong thing to do on so many levels.