This Boise St.- Oregon State game is on fire! *
by Jon (2019-03-23 19:19:56)

This user did not provide content for this post

Refs screwed Boise at the end of regulation
by Kayo  (2019-03-23 19:55:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Up two points, the Boise player took the in-bounds pass and got tackled. No call, tie-up called in the ensuing scrum. OSU got possession and scored to send the game to overtime.

why didnt boise call a TO and advance the ball?!
by navarre  (2019-03-23 23:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They weren't ready for that moment, call the TO, and then whatever happens occurs 60+ feet away from your basket, and you get to design your inbounds...BSU was just random on that in bounds

That said, there could have/should have been a whistle there

It was Boise's last timeout
by Kayo  (2019-03-24 06:47:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the opponent is going to foul intentionally in a 2-point game no matter where I put the ball in play, I'd rather save the timeout in case my player misses a free throw and the opponent scores on the subsequent posession. Then I'll want to advance the ball to halfcourt for my last shot.

Why spend it if the same thing will happen at mid-court, an intentional foul, that will happen in the backcourt? It would have been different if there had been two or three seconds on the clock, but 13 seconds were left. Advancing wouldn't have pre-empted a decent chance for OSU to score if the refs allowed a mugging that led to a turnover at halfcourt.

Boise got the ball inbounds for the intentional foul. The intentional foul happened but wasn't called. It's the referees who weren't up to the moment.

Spot on analysis. Watching it live, I expected more
by SBSwarm  (2019-03-24 08:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a reaction to the non-call from the announcers and the Boise coach. Props to him for keeping his cool and keeping his kids ready.

The female ref in the corner by the "tie-up" stole
by sixtythreer  (2019-03-23 20:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the game from Boise State. The Boise State girl was absolutely mugged, and no call.

I'm Not In Disagreement With Your Takes....But
by dillon77  (2019-03-24 08:23:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...it became very apparent that she was being double teamed -- and mugged as the camera angle showed -- and as she fell to the floor the Boise State Player tried to call time out, but too late for the refs, who called jump ball.

Yes, I know it was the last time out -- I told my wife that while watching --- but if the BSU player (#14, I believe) had called it, Boise would've gotten the ball at mid-court, giving you more court to operate on and perhaps forcing OSU to just plain foul (although one could argue they did).

Plus, if OSU managed to get a turnover "downcourt," they'd still have to bring the ball upcourt to get shot instead of working on an inbounds play under the basket, something Rueck sets up well.

Once again, I think OSU was just going for a rip, steal, then foul and the refs blew it. But I think Boise would've been well served to call the TO in that circumstance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes the moment gets a little too big and the "in between moments" hurt finish things out. Or a team just gets paralysis by thinking while playing. The Belmont men's game was such a game when the PG ostensibly dribbled out 20+ seconds rather than get it to their scorer and let him attack.

With Boise, in the sequence before the endline, their usual leading scorer and another player were too close to one another allowing defenders to poke hands in. Spread out! Use the pass.

Off to hoops myself to hear what my collection of HS coaches and college refs will say about all this....