Why does Geno do this? UConn’s 1st-Round game, four
by 1NDGal (2019-03-24 12:58:29)

Starters played 32 minutes or more. Samuelson sat after 22. Williams played 35. UConn was up by over 40 when she went out.

ND’s first game, not one starter hit 30 minutes. Jackie had the most with 29. Bri played only 23.

Seriously, why does Geno do this? I don’t get it.

Did you hear his comments about the last two Final 4's?
by NDLAW88  (2019-03-24 20:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basically said the euphoria of winning a NC fades quickly but losing lingers. Then added that despite what people thought he felt it wasn't the end of the world when MSU beat them at the last minute but that losing to us last year (without mentioning ND, of course) still leaves him pissed.

He's a small, vindictive man. He roots for the lions over the Christians. He's as great an ass as he is a coach.

The style of BB the Irish play has to be tiring
by 76AlumND  (2019-03-24 15:53:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was glad to see the bench involved early if only because they are playing two games in three days. Lowering the risk of injury is always a concern as well (and as noted).

Why does anybody care? *
by NDBass  (2019-03-24 15:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because he is lauded as such a phenomenal coach and will
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-24 15:45:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

keep the significant recruiting advantage of being the Olympic coach indefinitely.

One Note: Dawn Staley Took Over as Nat'l Team Coach
by dillon77  (2019-03-24 17:07:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...from Geno, so he's not in charge of the Olympics or the World Championship (or Cup or whatever they call it these days) squads anymore.
Is an advisor to the board, but not on active duty.

Shame on me. I knew that and then forgot it. I remember it
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-25 09:17:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was discussed on the board a little.

And look at her recruiting in year one *
by Goirish01  (2019-03-24 17:08:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

None of those have to do with his minute distribution. *
by NDBass  (2019-03-24 15:56:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is playing starters 32+ minutes in a blowout good coaching? *
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-24 16:25:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am deeply troubled ...
by CJC  (2019-03-24 17:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by the allegations that Geno verbally baits opposing players.

But if we can agree to define narrowly the criteria for defining an excellent college basketball coach as winning games and winning championships, I think that Geno's decisions on things like minutes distribution and the like should be pretty much beyond question.

If somebody wants to make the argument that his seemingly uncompromising coaching style has a detrimental effect on the psyche of some of the young women entrusted to his care, that's worthy of a separate conversation.

As somewhat of an aside, it seems that the players who stick around for their entire eligibility continue to hold him in very high regard. It's almost as though he made good on Bo's failed promise, "Those who stay will be champions."

If Notre Dame fans have seen anything this season, it's the challenge of navigating a season in which you're the hunted, rather than the hunter. For my money, it's much harder than it looks.

Geno has done it often enough and well enough that I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't be subjected to the Monday-morning quarterbacking of opposing fans on his decisions regarding playing time and the like.

Phil Mushnick in the NY Post frequently criticizes him....
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-24 19:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For running up the score against obviously undermanned opponents in
an inferior conference.

I'm kind of partial to how Lou Holtz views such things ...
by CJC  (2019-03-25 00:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I recall correctly, early in his career he complained to Bobby Bowden about running up the score against him.

Bowden's response was something along the lines that it wasn't Bowden's job to keep his own team from scoring, it was Holtz's job to keep Bowden's team from scoring.

If Auriemma thinks that playing his starters for 35-plus minutes in the process of beating completely overmatched teams by 50 or more points is in the best interest of the development of his players and his team, who am I to argue, given his success?

I'd feel differently, of course, if this were grade school basketball, or perhaps even high school basketball.

But, invoking Lou again, "The other team gives out scholarships, too."

Where is Geno's good sportsmanship? *
by Wolfetone  (2019-03-25 20:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps he feels building stamina outweighs the risk
by sixtythreer  (2019-03-24 14:00:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of injury?

Fifty years ago, my father used to pull his hair out (what hair he had left) when the ND Football Coach
left his first string in when ND had the game won. He used to ask, "Why risk injury?"

The NCAA tournament seems little late for
by ufl  (2019-03-24 14:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

developing stamina.

Which is why...
by nuyoika  (2019-03-24 17:06:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His philosophy doesn't change from game 1 - game 35.... Doesn't it make more sense to keep playing them how you've been playing them then to suddenly change it come the tourney? Not to mention in the AAC every game is blowout anyway. So I don't get the confusion here.

I agree
by ufl  (2019-03-24 17:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Continuity of style of play is more important than developing stamina at this stage.