2019 has been tough on a Notre Dame fan
by NDoggie78 (2019-04-08 08:56:26)

Football - Final Four - tough loss to Clemson (close enough to this year, I'm counting it)
MBball - just kind of frustrating
Fencing - finished #3 after being #1 most of the year
Hockey - Final 8 - tough loss to UMass
And now WBball - Final 2 and a heartbreaking loss

I know I am spoiled after the Women's accomplishments last year and what the football team used to win (I was an undergrad for Two National Championships in football). But it's difficult to root so hard and come up just short.

Congratulations ladies for last year and oh so close this year (even though you have put terrific strain on my ticker)

Better to come up "just short".
by BIG MAC  (2019-04-08 10:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Than be out of it completely.

Don't disagree - I'm not complaining
by NDoggie78  (2019-04-08 10:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the Charlie Brown in me with Lucy snatching the football (except last year - we kicked the sh*t out of that ball!)

You wouldn't feel the anguish if you didn't care. If we weren't constantly knocking at the door, that fervor would disappear. I would rather have the heartbreaking feeling of just missing than the apathy of never being there - still doesn't make it easy.

I don't look at it that way at all
by pmac98  (2019-04-08 09:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fact that a small Bible college in NW Indiana is competing with all these big state-sponsored universities should never be a fact that is never lost on us.

Theology isn’t mandatory any more. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-04-08 13:30:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ha, ha. That's a classic!
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-04-08 11:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the Jeopardy answer was "a small Bible college", it would take a few thousand 'questions' before anyone would come up with "What is Notre Dame". Even adding "in NW Indiana", I think the whole thing would be thrown out with laughter. I'm not sure what your experiences are, but I took a lot of philosophy and theology, and never once was assigned anything from the Bible.

Also, "small", though relative, is usually reserved for colleges like Williams (2,000), Amherst (1,800), and Swarthmore (1,500), not Notre Dame. Certainly, neither their athletic budget, nor income, is small. In fact:

On a per-student basis, Notre Dame has no equal; it's $10,571 profit per student was 75 percent higher than second-ranked Texas Christian University's $6,042 and more than double what was recorded by big public schools such as the University of Oklahoma, the University of Alabama and Ohio State University.

So, I'm not sure looking at Notre Dame as a David competing with Goliaths is the proper way to look at it. Certainly not in regards to support, both vocally and financially, from the public and the alumni. But you are correct that focus on athletics is way out of proportion compared to those "big state-sponsored universities". If that was your main point, I salute you.

It was a joke, but thanks for the thesis in response.
by pmac98  (2019-04-08 15:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But yes, I took 2 religion classes at ND, and one was "history of the Bible"

"small Bible college in NW Indiana" is just something my friends and I have always said as a joke whenever people ask "where did you all go to college?"

You never were assigned anything from the Bible?
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-04-08 12:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While I definitely agree that ND is neither small nor a Bible college, ! (like many other Domers) took "B-" Burtchaell for Introductory to Biblical Criticism. We had a reading due each and every class period, complete with quizzes to make sure each student read the book or passages.

Those Old Testament readings were long, and when we finally got to the New Testament, we had to look up every reference to the Old Testament because he quizzed us on how the reference was taken out of context.

And if "Small Bible College" were a Family Feud category
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-04-08 12:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

survey says:

Baba, where did you get your profit "facts" in italics? *
by Domerduck  (2019-04-08 11:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here. Just ran into them. (link)
by BabaGhanouj  (2019-04-08 11:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND a Bible college....I don't think so.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-04-08 10:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baylor, btw, is a Private University
by dillon77  (2019-04-08 10:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A larger one than us -- 16,000 students -- but a private university.
It builds itself as "A Private Christian University and a Nationally Ranked Research Institution."

If there's one label a Catholic university shouldn't have
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-04-08 10:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's "Bible college." That is more apropos of Baylor than ND.

Now that’s good!! NBC and Underarmor contracts be
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-04-08 10:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

darned!!

Now that’s good!! NBC and Underarmor contracts be
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-04-08 10:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

darned!!