Some "Morning After" Mulling...
by dillon77 (2019-04-08 11:00:50)
Edited on 2019-04-08 11:17:53

Just some (of the many) thoughts that have rolled across my mind during, immediately after and early this morning. Welcome any/all of the board's thoughts, in addition to the many excellent ones already posted.

- The Irish just didn't look ready to go in the first half, that's for sure. Probably lucky that it we were only down 12 at that point.

- Did the efforts against Stanford (which was just Monday night) and especially UConn take a toll? Remember our 1st half (especially 2nd quarter against Mississippi State)? Getting Cardinal "monkey" off our back was big and UConn has become a happening. Maybe it's hard to reload the alpha molecules that often in a short time...

- MM brought up that the Irish had not played anyone like Baylor, but I think there were similarities to Miami. Now, Emese Hof and Beatrice Mompremier are not Brown and Cox, but Hof hurt us in that game, as did a substitute guard who doubled her scoring average from outside.

- That said, given the unfamiliarity with a team like Baylor (bigs and tough defense), would it make sense to SCHEDULE SOME MORE LIKELY "ELITE EIGHT" teams, so we're not seeing their brand of ball for the first time in a one-and-done situation. We have a tough schedule..can we cherry pick another elite team or two?

One of the reasons I love the UConn game is it gives us a chance to see how and where we stand against an excellent opponent. Plus, it serves as a baseline scouting report. In the future, maybe play Stanford, even South Carolina with all their incoming freshmen? Maryland?

- Chloe Jackson is the first graduate transfer that Baylor had and she paid major dividends, saving her highest-scoring game of the year for last. Coach Mulkey says that she felt the need to adjust to new rules.

(Now, the NCAA is going to vote on a resolution within a few weeks to tighten up grad transfer rules (a transfer would have to finish his/her masters program or the college/university would be penalized a scholarship).

So, if ND has enough one-year masters and players that can get them, will MM also branch into this area? I know it's not building the roster in a way we're used to, but it could fill some holes or needs here brought on by injuries, transfers or not getting the frosh you pursued.

- And, given the success the Irish had with Jess Shepard, will MM look a "normal transfer," one who would have more than one year and would have to sit out a year (unless they apply to and get a waiver).

- Yes, finding some posts who are in the transfer portal would be a priority I'm sure, but so might a one-year, grad transfer who specializes in long-distance shooting. Yes, Sam B. is a slinger, but it might help to have someone accustomed to shooting under D1 circumstances to take pressure off.

and some thoughts about this group:

- Sorry that Bri didn't get a "W" in this NC game, but she played in two: her grad school year and her freshman year, when she put up a valiant effort without Natalie Achonwa next to her.

- Jess. No Shep, no NC for ND in 2018. Rarely have I seen a situation for player and institution turn out to be so quid pro quo.

- Arike and Marina. We talk a lot about strength of recruiting classes, but MM and Niele nailed that one. Yes, Ali P. had injuries and illnesses and has found redemption in IU. But these two have left a lasting mark on the program. You knew they had spunk frosh year (Marina at UConn), but they kept growing ND's program and WCBB in the process. As Chloe Jackson said, Arike will do great at the next level and Marina can and will find success, as well. All the best.

- Let's see what happens with Jackie. On one hand, I think it will be beneficial to she and the team to come back for one year. She can expand some elements of her game while helping her teammates ease into expanding roles and responsibilities.

On the other hand, she can play pro ball right here, right now (even with an off weekend). And might it be easier to rebuild the team with a total start-over?

- Lastly, we'll have (knock on wood) 5 McDonald All-Americans (besides Jackie) coming back to summer practices. And Abby is a national team vet.
They obvious have and will play. Will it take awhile to develop and mesh individually and collectively? Sure. But that's the fun of being associated with a team and a bona fide, top-rate coaching staff.
Thanks for a great ride this year and Go Irish!

For me I can't move on until the JY decision, butI have some
by Domerduck  (2019-04-08 13:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

top of mind thoughts on yesterday's game and it's impact. I do appreciate and agree with many of your sentiments. As for the game and certain players here's 3 thoughts:

1. Oregon had a better game plan as well as execution plan against Baylor than ND. They got cold in the end which is why they lost, but Iknow Baylor D had much to do with that. As for ND if Cox hadn't got hurt, it woudn't have been close.
2. Chloe Jackson and Marina did well with their WNBA stock for that game as I think one of those two could sneak into the 2nd round vs their 3rd round projections. On the other hand JY (if she comes out) may have hurt hers. Her reluctance to shoot except for drives when the team needed her is an issue which if I were a GM would have me question her as a high 1st round pick. I still think Arike should be ND's top WNBA pick.
3. Speaking of Arike, I am in awe of what she accomplished on such a big stage. She has two records from this tournament that I don't think will be easily broken. Highest scoring game in a championship on a losing team (2nd overall win or lose) and highest scoring tournament total points on a losing team (144, 4th overall in the history of the tournament). Given last years heroics and this years performance, her last two years in the NCAA tournament have been incredible.

Do you think NDs game plan is better w/ 5 days to prepare?
by MNND  (2019-04-08 16:22:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

v the Friday/Sunday of making it to the Championship? In most cases the extra time helps from a game planning standpoint and the ability to "rehearse" more. I felt our biggest issue was rushing shots all game; we seemed nervous of their height rather than just going right at them.

Per your Arike points, why is Asia Durr projected
by SorinBasement  (2019-04-08 13:29:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a higher pick than Arike? Why was Durr POY in the ACC two years in a row?

Asia Durr is a great player, but she's essentially a scorer with shooting/scoring stats that are no better than Arike's. Arike brings more to the table in other aspects of the game, as well as star power and an undeniable ability to rise to the occasion on the biggest of stages.

Durr
by Orangutan  (2019-04-08 14:27:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's a couple inches taller than Arike. It's hard to be a 5-8 2-guard in the WNBA.

I think she's probably a better 3-point shooter and a better defender (and will be helped on that end by her height).

Athletically, she's close to a prototype WNBA 2-guard.

As much as I love Arike, I do think Durr is a slightly better prospect for the next level. I expect both to have long, successful careers, though.

As for the awards, last year she rode the wave of knocking ND off its perch. This year she benefited from the perception that she had less help from her teammates than Arike did.

Great question *
by drmurray  (2019-04-08 13:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"reload the alpha molecules ", that's gold. All superb pts. *
by Jon  (2019-04-08 12:16:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good points. I believe the UConn game is a key
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-04-08 11:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

difference between us and Baylor and may have helped get ND off to the poor start. Any semi game is big for all the teams involved, but when it’s against a historical rival it takes on an added emotional component and in this case even moreso I’d say than any other 2 schools in women’s basketball.

As to the poor start, the team essentially played Baylor even the second and third quarters until Cox went out. It was still at a 12 point deficit when she left late in the 3rd and ND began its comeback and eventually then took the lead.

I don’t think Baylor could have played much better and ND obviously could have. We just needed a better start.

Regarding Jackson
by okerland  (2019-04-08 11:32:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She picked up her fourth foul halfway through the fourth and I was surprised we didn't try to isolate Jackie or Arike or Marina on her to get that 5th foul.

I was surprised they didn’t play her to drive right
by drmurray  (2019-04-08 11:41:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As she did every time and as suggested by Mabrey1

Thanks for everything, here and at BY. Calm, timely, inform. *
by T-Bone  (2019-04-08 11:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post