Some "Morning After" Mulling...
by dillon77 (2019-04-08 11:00:50)
Edited on 2019-04-08 11:17:53

Just some (of the many) thoughts that have rolled across my mind during, immediately after and early this morning. Welcome any/all of the board's thoughts, in addition to the many excellent ones already posted.

- The Irish just didn't look ready to go in the first half, that's for sure. Probably lucky that it we were only down 12 at that point.

- Did the efforts against Stanford (which was just Monday night) and especially UConn take a toll? Remember our 1st half (especially 2nd quarter against Mississippi State)? Getting Cardinal "monkey" off our back was big and UConn has become a happening. Maybe it's hard to reload the alpha molecules that often in a short time...

- MM brought up that the Irish had not played anyone like Baylor, but I think there were similarities to Miami. Now, Emese Hof and Beatrice Mompremier are not Brown and Cox, but Hof hurt us in that game, as did a substitute guard who doubled her scoring average from outside.

- That said, given the unfamiliarity with a team like Baylor (bigs and tough defense), would it make sense to SCHEDULE SOME MORE LIKELY "ELITE EIGHT" teams, so we're not seeing their brand of ball for the first time in a one-and-done situation. We have a tough schedule..can we cherry pick another elite team or two?

One of the reasons I love the UConn game is it gives us a chance to see how and where we stand against an excellent opponent. Plus, it serves as a baseline scouting report. In the future, maybe play Stanford, even South Carolina with all their incoming freshmen? Maryland?

- Chloe Jackson is the first graduate transfer that Baylor had and she paid major dividends, saving her highest-scoring game of the year for last. Coach Mulkey says that she felt the need to adjust to new rules.

(Now, the NCAA is going to vote on a resolution within a few weeks to tighten up grad transfer rules (a transfer would have to finish his/her masters program or the college/university would be penalized a scholarship).

So, if ND has enough one-year masters and players that can get them, will MM also branch into this area? I know it's not building the roster in a way we're used to, but it could fill some holes or needs here brought on by injuries, transfers or not getting the frosh you pursued.

- And, given the success the Irish had with Jess Shepard, will MM look a "normal transfer," one who would have more than one year and would have to sit out a year (unless they apply to and get a waiver).

- Yes, finding some posts who are in the transfer portal would be a priority I'm sure, but so might a one-year, grad transfer who specializes in long-distance shooting. Yes, Sam B. is a slinger, but it might help to have someone accustomed to shooting under D1 circumstances to take pressure off.

and some thoughts about this group:

- Sorry that Bri didn't get a "W" in this NC game, but she played in two: her grad school year and her freshman year, when she put up a valiant effort without Natalie Achonwa next to her.

- Jess. No Shep, no NC for ND in 2018. Rarely have I seen a situation for player and institution turn out to be so quid pro quo.

- Arike and Marina. We talk a lot about strength of recruiting classes, but MM and Niele nailed that one. Yes, Ali P. had injuries and illnesses and has found redemption in IU. But these two have left a lasting mark on the program. You knew they had spunk frosh year (Marina at UConn), but they kept growing ND's program and WCBB in the process. As Chloe Jackson said, Arike will do great at the next level and Marina can and will find success, as well. All the best.

- Let's see what happens with Jackie. On one hand, I think it will be beneficial to she and the team to come back for one year. She can expand some elements of her game while helping her teammates ease into expanding roles and responsibilities.

On the other hand, she can play pro ball right here, right now (even with an off weekend). And might it be easier to rebuild the team with a total start-over?

- Lastly, we'll have (knock on wood) 5 McDonald All-Americans (besides Jackie) coming back to summer practices. And Abby is a national team vet.
They obvious have and will play. Will it take awhile to develop and mesh individually and collectively? Sure. But that's the fun of being associated with a team and a bona fide, top-rate coaching staff.
Thanks for a great ride this year and Go Irish!

Replies: