Ha, ha. That's a classic!
by BabaGhanouj (2019-04-08 11:27:22)
Edited on 2019-04-08 11:39:04

In reply to: I don't look at it that way at all  posted by pmac98

If the Jeopardy answer was "a small Bible college", it would take a few thousand 'questions' before anyone would come up with "What is Notre Dame". Even adding "in NW Indiana", I think the whole thing would be thrown out with laughter. I'm not sure what your experiences are, but I took a lot of philosophy and theology, and never once was assigned anything from the Bible.

Also, "small", though relative, is usually reserved for colleges like Williams (2,000), Amherst (1,800), and Swarthmore (1,500), not Notre Dame. Certainly, neither their athletic budget, nor income, is small. In fact:

On a per-student basis, Notre Dame has no equal; it's $10,571 profit per student was 75 percent higher than second-ranked Texas Christian University's $6,042 and more than double what was recorded by big public schools such as the University of Oklahoma, the University of Alabama and Ohio State University.

So, I'm not sure looking at Notre Dame as a David competing with Goliaths is the proper way to look at it. Certainly not in regards to support, both vocally and financially, from the public and the alumni. But you are correct that focus on athletics is way out of proportion compared to those "big state-sponsored universities". If that was your main point, I salute you.

Replies: