Not sure what makes me sadder,
by SorinBasement (2019-04-08 11:42:51)

the fact that this historically wonderful team did not pull off a repeat, or that we'll never get to see them play together again.

Arike's my all-time favorite women's basketball player, but the other four starters are most certainly in the top ten.

Mulkey's a lunatic, but you've got to give her credit. You don't trip upon three National Championships. The thing that separated Baylor from the other three teams in the Final Four was their bench. They lost perhaps their best player in the third quarter, and her replacement had 14 points and 6 rebounds in 17 minutes.

Don't forget Mulkey's history. (link)
by hibernianangst  (2019-04-08 17:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's no angel *
by drmurray  (2019-04-08 17:53:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mulkey is a competitor, she's loyal, and she's a winner.
by Domerduck  (2019-04-08 12:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her whole life she has been at two schools. She has 6 national championships-3 during her 19 years at Louisiana Tech (1981 AIAW NC & 1st NCAA champ in 1982, and 1988 as an assistant coach) and the 3 NCs in her 19 years at Baylor. I know folks talk about her demeanor (like you calling her a lunatic) but I have always said on this board that I would love her as my coach. I certainly would rather have Muffet and what she has given ND, but what Mulkey has given La Tech and Baylor over so many years has been phenomenal. She has been great for the women's game and we all should be glad we have such a worthy competitor leading another private, Christian school.

I know Mulkey has been up for the Naismith HOF for the last few years as she competed against Muffet when she got it two years ago. I was amazed that she didn't even make the finalists this year as the official list of eligible candidates is attached. She was nominated/eligible in two categories. The 3 women finalists were Theresa Witherspoon (who got in), Leta Andrews, and Barbara Stephens . The only other HOF inductee associated with women's bball was a team: the WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY TEAMS OF 1948-82 [Team]. I really think Mulkey is HOF worthy.

I’d take Muffet anywhere any day any time. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-04-08 13:55:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I wrote, given that choice., so would I-glad we have her! *
by Domerduck  (2019-04-08 13:58:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never understood how she only won 1 title with Griner.
by TWO  (2019-04-08 12:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She had a lot of talent around Griner to boot.

Texas girls HS basketball has a lot of talent, and Mulkey is a terrific recruiter in a hot bed of women's basketball.

Texas should be able to out recruit her, but they can't.

The reason...
by cbiebel  (2019-04-08 13:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Griner was a freshman she was, well, a freshman. They lost 10 games including a Final Four game to UConn with Maya Moore.

When Griner was a sophomore, they had to play Texas A&M 4 times. I looked it up and no team has beaten another team 4 times in one season (teams have played 4 times in one season about 5-6 times, and in all but one of them, the result was 3-1. The lone exception was 2-2.

When Griner was a senior, the refs "let them play" in the game against Louisville, and Louisville basically beat up on Griner.

Forgot about the mugging that Louisville put on them. *
by TWO  (2019-04-08 17:23:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think she got a lot out of the Griner teams. The L'ville
by Domerduck  (2019-04-08 13:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

upset in the NCAA sweet 16 game Griner's senior year was shocking, but that team still went 34-2 with their only other loss by 2 to Stanford. Griner's Freshman year, they were a 4th seed and upset 1 seed Tennessee and then 2 seed Duke to lose to Maya Moore's UConn NC team in the semis of the F4. Her sophomore year they went 34-3 and lost to eventual NC TA&M in the Elite 8 game who beat us that year in the final. Her junior year they 40-0 and won it all including the championship against us.

Only two coaches in the last 25 years have won back to back and have won 3 or more championships. Geno and Pat. Muffet could have joined them if ND won yesterday. Griner's team could have got Mulkey that in 2013, but didn't. But now she is only the third coach ever to have 3 NCs. The fact she did it with 3 totally different teams, 7 years apart, is to me even more impressive.

And her incoming class is scary *
by drmurray  (2019-04-08 11:45:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

South Carolina & Stanford have the scary incoming classes *
by Dave Winkler  (2019-04-08 12:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, SC has the #3, #7, #10, #13 (HoopGurlz) coming in
by NDoggie78  (2019-04-08 12:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

plus a PG not in the Top 100 but All State in South Carolina

Stanford has HoopGurlz #1, #16, #23, #50

No, Baylor's present freshmen class is scary, but the
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-04-08 12:04:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

class that arrives this fall consists of just one player (albeit a McDonalds' AA). Jordyn Oliver is a 5'10" guard from (where else) Texas.

Sorry you are correct. I meant the current freshmen *
by drmurray  (2019-04-08 12:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Na'Lyssa Smith, Queen Egbo Both Prime Front-Liners
by dillon77  (2019-04-08 14:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach Mulkey jokingly solicited bigs in her interview following the Oregon win, but looking at it from afar, the former point guard seems to hone in on making sure she pounds the paint.

As someone pointed out, she does a very good job of scouring (and keeping) prospects in Texas.