First Anniversary of Sam Brunelle's Commitment
by MPG (2019-04-15 16:45:40)

We were in a state of euphoria last year on this day as Sam announced her commitment to ND with her teammates and Azzi Fudd behind her. This was two weeks after winning the NCAA title and we were feeling optimistic about the upcoming season and future recruiting. I was seeing Sam as the Kat Westbeld replacement with the freedom to shoot from the three point line.

Today we are reeling a bit after falling one point short of an overtime that ND would have used to secure a second title. We are also dealing with Paige Bueckers committing to the Yukon King. I am still haunted by the image of Paige and Azzi posing with Rebecca Lobo on ND's court about ten yards away from where Sam, Anaya, and Alli were sitting before the December game with Connecticut began. That was the moment when I felt the recruiting momentum slipping away.

In the wake of Louisville gaining the exact transfers we needed: a true low post power player and a Jackie Young replacement, not to mention that talented guard from Cal, ND's staff has some creative work to do.

Destinee Walker will add some depth to a potentially good group of guards. However, we do not know what to expect from her after playing only four games in the past two seasons. During her first two seasons she was productive, but her shooting percentages were low and she had more turnovers than assists. Let's hope that she is healthy and ready to play her best basketball.

I wonder if Janelle Bailey is interested in a transfer? With the UNC coaching turmoil, perhaps she could have the same eligibility status as Dixon and Balogun...

Replies: