What Constitutes A "Surprise" To You?
by dillon77 (2019-04-18 12:20:07)
Edited on 2019-04-18 12:24:33

In reply to: Good points  posted by joeyt28

It's an intriguing concept...

- A prospect that people have not heard of?
(I think in this day and age of social media, it's hard not to see who coaches are interacting with...)

- Someone affiliated with multiple schools?
(Based on what I think you're saying, Aliyah Boston choosing South Carolina over ND and virtual hometown favorite, UConn, would fall in that catgory)

In looking at ND's verbal commitments:
- Alli Campbell was interested in ND, but was something of a pleasant surprise from a process standpoint by committing so early. That helps not only to have a bird in hand, but with planning down the road.
- Nat Marshall. Had a finalist list of a lot of the usual suspects, but it looked like it got down to Stanford and ND. So were in a good place, but Stanford's been on a roll. But we won that, so that's a good, solid win.

I'd put Caitlin Clark in the same place: has visited Oregon schools, very familiar with Iowa schools and there's ND. But that's a tough competition. In the past, perhaps the Catholic background would, should, to the trick but this does not seem to the case.

And Maddy Westbeld strikes me as not necessarily being a top-line option but is moving up the list as things fall out. The trouble is sometimes those kinds of players find other ports of call. I'll bet MPG would agree with me that post/forward Naz Hillmon might've been one of those when she went to Michigan.

So, I'm interested in what you're thinking of. Enjoy the give and take. Thanks.

Replies: