Graves Recruits like the UL Coach
by KORZO78 (2019-04-19 04:38:18)
Edited on 2019-04-19 09:17:57

In reply to: Kylee Watson OV To Oregon This Weekend - How Does Oregon  posted by savr27

Maybe, throw Frese in the group as well. They recruit as many good players as possible. They attract a lot of talent but lose a lot as well. Their programs are revolving doors.

It is a lot like players and their AAU teams. Coaches and players focus on what is best for themselves. If I get a better offer, I leave my AAU (maybe at halftime of a game) team. If I can get a better PG than the one I have, I do. If one leaves, simply the cost of doing business.

IMO, there will be more of this activity moving forward. Roster building is changing quickly and dramatically. WBB is looking for more overseas talent. The transfer portal is blowing up. More grad player movement. I think the NCAA will grant more Jessica Shepard immediate playing time exceptions. The end result? Fewer players stay at one school for four years.

Ironic that none of the last three NCAA champs (UConn, SC, ND) before Baylor can field a team with 10 scholarship players, who came from HS to their program. One would think that top players would love to come to these schools, be willing to sit for year or two, develop their game, and enjoy a whole of winning. But, it seems like many demand immediate playing time, even when they may not be ready for it.

Whether one views the changes as good or bad is irrelevant. The changes are occurring.

IMO, old school coaches, like Muffet and Geno, will need to adjust. They have to think about including more turnover when building their rosters. I also think it will be tougher to win back to back NCs or get back to the Final Four on a consistent basis. More up and down, like SC in the last two years and maybe ND next year. Too much movement and too many variables that the coaches do not control.

Replies: