I was replying to Mr. Swarm's comments regarding his
by MPG (2019-04-20 16:55:51)
Edited on 2019-04-20 16:59:06

In reply to: Bench Players  posted by hempfield75

observation that Mik Vaughn will need bench support in the low post because she fouled at a high rate during the regular season. I noted her fouls per 30 minutes of playing time were double what the statistics showed for ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Brianna Turner. It is valid to compare stats on a per minutes basis, rather than a per game basis.

He speculated that ND may go with four guards at times because the team currently lacks low post depth. I agreed because ND will be blessed with four tall, multi-talented guards.

I expressed my concerns about Danielle Cosgrove's readiness to offer support in the low post next season because of her rebounding. Seeing her play in person in all of the home games and several road games, I noted that she was frequently beaten to rebounds by opposing players. She had 17 rebounds in 118 minutes of regular season action compared to Nicole Benz's 15 rebounds in 67 minutes. I believe that Danielle needs to improve her strength and agility and hope that we will see an improved version of her in November. Some feistiness would also help her game. Markisha Wright showed me a lot more determination coming off the bench during her first year at ND. I don't expect first year players to be perfect; I do look to see signs of hope for their future development.

In regard to practice, this year's team had the advantage of practicing in July for the August trip to Europe. The male practice players took some time away from the reserves beginning in October. However, they were not at practice every day and were not there at all during the three weeks between Christmas and the beginning of classes in mid-January.

Replies: