Award Night Notes
by MPG (2019-04-22 18:09:55)
Edited on 2019-04-22 18:12:00

I was waiting for last week's recruiting news to die down and Easter to pass, before sharing a few notes about the April 16 award night. Now the Dani Patterson news is breaking which means some incoming news must be coming, too.

What a difference a year and two points makes! Last year there were so many fans requesting an item to be autographed, that the ceremonies started 30 minutes late. This year the event started 15 minutes early.

The seniors divided speaking assignments among themselves:
Brianna Turner made mention of all those who support the players and the coaching staff.

Marina Mabrey mentioned each of the coaches, mainly with inside humor.

Jess Shepard and Maureen Butler took turns thanking the underclassmen. Jess grew emotional while talking about the juniors, Katie Cole and Jackie Young.

Arike Ogunbowale gave an exuberant thank you to the fans. She was the most upbeat person to speak.

Muffet made serious mention of each senior and repeated her reference to Jess Shepard as the best transfer a team could ever add. Muffet made some nice comments about Dani Patterson while awarding her the most improved player award. I now look back at that as a bittersweet moment.

Abby Prohaska received the loudest introductory ovation among the players scheduled to return for next year, and an even louder ovation when she won the spirit award!

Nicole Benz earned the student-athlete award with a 4.0 in computer engineering. Three cheers for Nicole!

You are suggesting...
by davidaddison  (2019-04-22 21:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Dani is leaving because we recruited a transfer over her?

I simply reported Muffet's often reported praise for Jess
by MPG  (2019-04-22 21:58:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shepard as the ideal transfer and key to the championship season. Dani and Jess could have played together as a high/low tandem.

I was referring to..,
by davidaddison  (2019-04-22 22:03:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The incoming comment: “Now the Dani Patterson news is breaking which means some incoming news must be coming, too.”

Apologies if I misunderstood!

I see your point. I was suggesting that Dani's likely
by MPG  (2019-04-22 22:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

transfer would make the addition of another transfer to ND likely and soon. It is possible that there was something pending that prompted Dani to enter the portal. There have been no transfer to ND rumors that have come our way lately. As you know Destinee Walker appeared and committed without any advance word that she would be visiting.

Thanks For the Report.
by dillon77  (2019-04-22 19:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Jess has always looked close to the underclass players. Looks very difficult not to like Katie and Jackie!

- Yes, the most improved award looks awfully bittersweet in retrospect.

- God bless, Mik is something of an extrovert in her own right and the Irish will need her to step up, with Abby right there.

- Of course, I don't think it will take long for Anaya and Sam to start exerting their influence on matters.

Great, great team who got the Irish back into the Final Four. Will miss them....Gosh, I still remember Mabrey lighting up UConn her frosh year.