Live by the 3/Die by the 3?
by NDLAW88 (2019-04-23 08:16:10)

Is that next year's motto on offense? Spread them out. Let Sam, Abby, Anaya, Gilbert and Nixon bomb away from deep and hope Mik can clean up on the offensive glass? I can't see an offense that relies on getting the ball inside to Mik and working inside/out from there being successful. We have enough athletes to create some mismatches on offense. Obviously we will have to be a team that outscores the other team as opposed to shutting them down - especially if Mik has foul trouble issues as she has been prone to so far.

Motion Offense Can Set Up a Bunch of Options
by dillon77  (2019-04-23 14:47:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- Layups, facilitated from weak-side and back-door cutting
- Mid- and Long-range jumpers, enabled by crisp passing and constant movement
- Players who all buy into and work the system (even one stationery person can grind this to a halt)

The Princeton system works best when you have an adept high-post player. Guards can shoot it into the elbow and that high-post player can look for the low post, survey what the defense is giving or not giving and make the next appropriate move, whether it's another pass, a drive a jumper.

That was one of Kat's specialties of course (Ace did it well, when she came out to the line).

Dani P. had some work at the high post. A little rudimentary at time, but she knew where to look, what to do.

The good news is that we've got someone coming in who is known for her ability to read the court and pass...Sam Brunelle.

And there are a lot of guards who have good handles and/or the ability to make the motion offense hum: Anaya Peoples, Katlyn Gilbert, Abby Prohaska, Jordan Nixon. I'm guessing Destinee Walker will be able to pick up on this.

We've got so few players that one has to hope Danielle C. takes a sophomore leap pronto, so she can give minutes to Mik and/or Sam.
And/or, we'll run some one post/4 guard sets.

Don't forget the pick and roll. If Mik can be reliable down
by Domerduck  (2019-04-23 10:08:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

low, move around the perimeter, and pass out when doubled they could be as effective as Oregon. They only have Ruthie who stays down low and the other 4 can shoot threes big time (all +40%). They've had this offense for three years and got to at least the Elite 8 all of those years. It helps when you have a magician like Sabrina on the ball often but maybe Peoples or Nixon can play that role. You also need those perimeter players to crash the boards and play D on low post players since many teams have multiple bigs.

It could work but it's not Muffet's offense.

4 in 1 out worked in the past
by joeyt28  (2019-04-23 10:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got Nd to many final fours and title games. Oddly enough, the "twin towers" philosophy wasn't really around until last year or maybe also the one before if you count Kat. And, ND lost to a team that executed the twin towers even better. Same with the Miami loss. What spurred the second half comeback was outside shooting, which is also how Baylor lost to Louisville when they had Griner.

Vaughn needs to work on catching the ball. It seemed
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-04-23 10:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that she saw several passes this season that still went right off her hands into the stands. She was aware a pass was coming but still fumbled it. She'll need to receive passes better for the pick and roll to work. Of course that's what an off-season is for!

She worked hard underneath to seal but needs to go after the pass and not let others beat her to it. Too many turnovers this season (which of course show up as a TO for the passer, not Mik, so you cannot see them in the stats). Mik was also called for 3-second violations for camping out in the paint, but those seemed to become more rare as the season progressed.

I expect great things from Mik. Last season was basically her freshman year and it's very difficult learning the post position transitioning from high school to college.

Dani had such potential. I hope she reconsiders, as she would have played such an important role this season.

I noticed the hands too. It was frustrating to see her get a
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-04-23 11:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pass in good scoring position and not handle it, but I also expect that to be much improved next season.

Interesting. My take- she has exceptionally good hands.
by Jon  (2019-04-23 11:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe you've noticed better than me. That just stuck in my mind for some reason. Really good hands.

Her foul trouble is more concerning to me.