Yes, They Use Different Methods To Get There
by dillon77 (2019-04-30 18:02:42)

In reply to: It’s always been a lie the Ivy League schools don’t give  posted by Btd

But let's start with something that's not a lie: the academic standards are still up there. Do they "bend" a little for star athletes (like certain school(s) we know? Yes. But the standard is still high.)

The so-called Princeton model used a combinations of specific donor money towards certain sports (via merit-based scholarships) and financial need via non-repayable grants to get around the "no scholarship" policy the Ivies still allegedly maintain.

Since many of the Ivies now give grants instead of student loans, this is virtually transparent: the giving is right in front of everyone who has access to the financial aid office.

Yale didn't win the NCAA men's lax championship last year with all upper middle class preps coming from boarding schools.

If I remember correctly, Jordan Nixon not only had strong interest from Virginia, but some school in Boston named Harvard.

I suspect Coach Banghart will still go after some smart, academic-oriented kids, but will now have the opportunity at lowering that SAT and ACT score-bar. If I'm Duke, I'm worried because she'll go after a lot of the same kids.