A Selective International Presence Could Help ...
by dillon77 (2019-05-08 12:10:22)

In reply to: New Recruiting Landscape  posted by NOBBYDOMER

...in this day and age, for many of the reasons you mention and what we've seen over the past few years:
- player movement between schools during their collegiate careers;
- injuries;
- increased focus (and pressure) on certain schools and recruits.

As you mention, many top tier schools -- competitors of ND -- are bringing in players from international markets: For Syracuse, Europe is like the metro NY area for us; whereas Geno A. has seemingly gotten in the game by addressing specific needs.

In the past, I've heard certain reasons used as to why not recruit internationals:
- there's enough good players in the United States;
- culturally, will it work for the players/the university?
- it's expensive.

Hmmm, my thoughts on those:
- Talent pool in U.S. is still the largest and best, yes, but the best in the world can play and help those teams. Other points about that pool being transient (from above) hold.
- The world is a smaller place. Both the Polish and Croatian recruits were well aware of UConn. YouTube is an international hoops center.
I'd wager teenage female hoopsters in Australia know all about Arike.
And ND holds a huge presence in Catholic countries and academic circles.
- Hey, ND prides itself on being an international University. From the website: "Approximately 10 percent of the University’s students and scholars come from outside the United States." So, with that in mind, having one player on the squad would be perfectly in character.
- Expensive to recruit internationally. I think it depends on how one approaches this. But first, you can get footage of any player anywhere, whether the player is in South Bend or South Korea.
Second, the business of procuring international players is developing fast. There are former players who will serve as conduits (the Aussie rep is featured in SkinHoops86 all the time.) Plus, there are newsletters on this for initial scans.
Third, there are international events like the Nike and UnderArmour ones, that showcase international talent. Heck, there were key players at the Final Four this year, which is where Geno A. had his final look before offering the Croatian guard.

So, why not add an element into the overall approach?
- Establish contacts in key areas;
- Have the ND video coordinator pull together tape on suggested players and/watch footage from key events;
- Instead of going to every Nike and/or UnderArmour event; hop a plane to one of the pan-Euro events.
- Use the ND tree. MM has players all over the world. In most leagues you only play once a week. Maybe Natalie Novosel and Lindsay Allen can spend a day checking out Aussie talent during off days in the Aussie league? Ace would kill to help Muffet...she's in China and could ask some questions. And Kat's in Spain, playing in divisions which probably have access to younger players.

Listen, I'm not complaining about any of the players MM and Niele have brought onto campus, let alone their ability to develop them (along with Beth and Carol) individually and/or collectively. But I think the landscape is changing quickly and this approach is more proactive than waiting to see what the transfer market brings every year.

Replies: