Danielle Patterson has followed Ali Patberg to IU. I thought
by MPG (2019-05-10 13:58:51)

this Brooklyn girl would go back East.

Maybe the xfr has more to do with 5 years free education &
by Domerduck  (2019-05-11 11:32:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting a masters. DP was not going to get a redshirt year staying at ND unless she got hurt and who wants that. She transfers she gets a free year sitting out. Women's BBall is the only women's sport that pays for 5 years complete full ride if the school lets you. Considering so few women make real money in professional sports maybe she is just being smart and getting a two degrees out of it.

I know this is speculation but it's not an insane thought. DP will always be able to say she not only went to ND playing bball, she also will be able to say she won a National Championship there. If she can show the talent and skill she has a chance at the WNBA coming out of Indiana. If not she will leave with 5 years of free education and probably two degrees.

I'm rooting for her as she always gave her all at ND coming off the bench. It's not her fault she couldn't make that starting team. When she chose ND All American Bri Turner was in her Junior year and would have had only one year left but got hurt so she sat out 17/18 year, Danielle's freshman year. Also when DP chose ND Jess Shephard hadn't transferred yet which ultimately and certainly reduced her PT for both years. Jess got two years being the best player on an inferior team at Nebraska (another big 10 team) so when she came to ND as a junior she was more than ready for the big time. DP has a chance to be an ALL conference Big 10 player and show her stuff like Ali did after sitting out a year.

Good luck to her.

Slight nit - Women's BBall not the only sport with 5yr ride
by tsl4264  (2019-05-13 15:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Women's BBall is not the only sport that pays for a 5-year complete ride if the school lets you. My niece played Volleyball in the SEC. When she was being recruited she was told that the school would pay for up to 5 years of study, even if she completed her eligibility in her first 4 years. She signed a 4-year scholarship contract and required the inclusion of language regarding 5 paid years at the university. The university honored their commitment and she graduated with a double major in 5 years, all paid by the university, even though her athletic eligibility was used up in her first 4 years.

DP at IU
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-05-12 06:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why go there if you can play, simple answer.

Muffet gives no quarter
by NDLAW88  (2019-05-12 12:46:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is demanding. Her standards and expectations don't waiver and certainly aren't applied on a player by player basis.

I can't believe anyone who watches her on the sideline could think otherwise. Maybe some players fool themselves about what they're really comfortable with before they get to ND only to realize after a year or two that it's not for them. Dani clearly never was comfortable or, mayber even more importantly, Muffet was never comfortable with Dani. It seems like neither Erin Boley nor Ali Patberg were either (although the injury bug that derailed Patberg may impact that analysis).

It doesn't mattter if you are expected to be a starter in your junior year: if you never can get comfortable with the coach's expectations and demands that you continue to reach deeper, you won't succeed at ND.

Good place for her
by BB Junky  (2019-05-10 14:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their offense might be better suited for her. Plus familiar with Ali. Don't think MM will be scheduling IU for awhile.

Best place for her would appear to be her current team
by NDoggie78  (2019-05-10 15:30:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously, I am not privy to the factors leading to her transfer - maybe they have nothing to do with basketball. Maybe she has legitimate concerns.
But strictly in a basketball sense, staying vs transferring:
1) She wouldn't have to sit a year
2) She's familiar with the coaches, system, playbook & teammates
3) She's the closest thing to a guaranteed starter
4) She plays a position of need with limited competition on the roster
5) If not the #1 scoring option, she would definitely be close to the top
6) She would get much more exposure from tv and the media
7) She would have most experience on the team and likely a captain
8) She would get a degree that would help her in future endeavors

I don't like the transfer portal and the new wave of transfers.
I'm not starting - transfer
I'm not getting enough playing time (In Patterson's case, she was behind 5 WNBA draft picks) - transfer
Coached yelled at me and was mean - transfer
Homesick - transfer
Don't like my roommate - transfer (sometimes this is legit - see Florida football)

I'm sure there are legitimate reasons, but this is getting out of hand. Where is the tough it out mentality of our parents generation?
Where is loyalty to your school?
Where is loyalty to your friends?
Where is loyalty to your teammates?
Where is loyalty to your fans?

Sorry if I'm not one of those rooting for these kids after they transfer. I am first and foremost a Notre Dame fan. I don't wish transfers ill - I'm not rooting against them, but if they don't find greener pastures maybe that will set an example for others and slow down the musical chairs that can't be good for the sport.

I don't mean to be too critical. Except for the list of reasons "I" thought she should stay, my other comments were meant to be in general and not directed at Danielle. This is affecting other players and sports at ND and around the country. I liked the graduate transfer rule, but transfer is becoming like divorce - too easy

Disagree
by DavidAddison  (2019-05-10 18:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly wish she hadn’t transferred. But obviously there was stuff going on that made her unhappy. I don’t care how awesome our starters were DP got less playing time than I expected and, imho, less than she should have. I’m not talking about the final few games. I mean throughout the season.

You can’t get inside someone else’s head or make assumptions. For example, sitting out a year. Guess what. She wants to. I think she will now get a free masters degree to go with the undergrad she would’ve had anyway.

Honestly I would’ve wondered what the coaches were trying to tell me this year had I been DP.

I have more faith in our coaching staff
by Murcer68  (2019-05-10 21:42:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Holtz used to tell the football players, "You will adjust to us. We will not adjust to you." If anyone is unhappy and wants to leave, let them go. I won't be shedding any tears about it or do any soul-searching.

Both Posts Are Very Thought-Provoking....
by dillon77  (2019-05-10 18:37:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

-- I'm Not about to trash the entire concept of transfers. Students in the general population do so at a greater rate and I think student-athletes should not be bound to a different sort of bonding if there are mutual issues that cannot be worked out.

-- As for Dani's situation, I'm sure there are some things that we'll not know about. She did admit that the lack of playing time bothered her a bit. Yes, she was playing behind five superstars, but me thinks time could've been worked out to get her some minutes during the regular season.

-- I'm scratching my head on her ultimate location for one reason: Dani said she wants to play pro ball and go to a place that will help prepare her for it. While Indiana is getting better, MM and her staff have put players into the pro's on a regular basis. Unnamed issues must have been pretty sizable.

That said, best of luck as Dani heads south on Rte. 31.

If there is a possible lesson learned here in South Bend, maybe an examination on player rotation can examined. Not at the expense of winning, of course, but with the idea of keeping the players who can help you win around.

Rotation
by hempfield75  (2019-05-10 22:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dillon I would have also came up with some sort of rotation but not just
for Dani but the team.

...You know you are obviously losing 4 and a great possibility you are
going to lose 5.

...With that knowledge, I am also going to start preparing my bench players
for next year. Their is no better experience than actual game playing.

...You have a player that had limited playing time her first year and she
ended up with less playing time a year she should be preparing to be a
starter.

...There is one other point that could have stirred the pot the wrong way.
Do no take this the wrong way. Just point that a young 19 or 20 year old
in the system for 2 years could have seen against her.

...That would have been the large amount of playing time a freshman not
in the system a year was receiving. Yest 2 different positions but that
is not always what players are looking at. There was no pressure for a
freshman to learn the system and be ready to start next season like a
person that has been in the system for 2 years.

...Not saying that was a fact or actual happened. I have over the years
seen players get upset and quit for something far less than uneven time
distribution.

...Like you said, we will never know and best we just move on and focus
on present and future. I am taking someone elses words to heart.

...Just so you know. I have been in situations like Dani. That is
probably why I followed her closer than other players. Unlike her, I
did not transfer or quit. It worked out for me in the long run. Just
pray for her success, unless IU plays UND, than all bets are off.

p.s. Because they follow PAians, Campbell and Mik are now in my
number 1 fan club. I hope I did not leave out a Pennsylvanian from my
fan club.

SEG/Chief

Great Post Loved It. Might be a Novel in Response
by hempfield75  (2019-05-10 18:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am trying to make my post shorter but NDOOGIE hit a subject very
important to me. I went through a lot of what is in his post.

Your post was well organized and to the point. At no time did I feel you
were attacking Dani. NoWay. You were very straight forward and to the point
on what you wanted to say about transferring.

...Now I would like to make some points of my own that may surprise some
people, since I was on Dani's side the whole year.

...First of all everyone of your points hit home to me. I went through
everyone of those points. Now here it comes with the reasons why I take the
stand I do.

...I am totally against transferring. There are cases that happen that does
justify a players transfer to another school. The player must also keep in
my the grass is not always greener at a different place.

...I am against transfers because you had years to research all the schools
you were interested in. You could visit schools, talk to players, coaches,
take in practices and games. You could also check out the academic side of
the school. Today, you can research the internet for your information. The
tools are there to make the best choice for you. You should not make the
choice strictly for someone else. They are not going there for 4 or 5
years. They are not you.

...I played 4 years of football in high school and 1 year of track. I also
spent 3 years with the track team on an administrative position and 1 year
with the basketball team.

...I also spent 20 years of active duty in the Navy. During that time I
played every sport known to man until I turned 39.

...During that time I went through every emotion you can think of. I sat
on the bench for 3 years with little playing time. I have been hollowered
at, made fun of, teased and felt not treated fairly. But you know I never
quit, never transferred to another team, never complained, but mostly I
never gave up on my team, coaches, or myself. I even got embarassed in a
basketball game in the Navy we only had 6 players to play this one team.
I was player number 6. Not once during the game did I see the court. We
won easily and I never played 1 second. Did I quit, no. Not in my blood.

...Every year I got better and better. I worked out harder and harder. I
finally earned my starting position and never gave it up. We are talking
basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, softball, bowling and running
invitationals.

...Your points you made about reasons to transfer are accurate. I could
have given up at any time but I did not. I could have caused trouble at
any time but did not. So why did I not do any of those.

...First for all the reasons the NDOOGIE mentioned. It would be against
the team,It would not be what was best for my school, family, fans or
friends.

...What lesson would I be teaching myself. Quit every time something does
not go my way. What about adapt, overcome and achieve.

...The most important strength we have is not our physical strength but our
mental strength. If you are mental strong you can adapt overcome and
achieve. But if you give up you mentally may get weaker. Before you know it
your finding all kinds of excuses not to do or perform.

...I do not cheat, hate to loose and am totally against quitting. Inner
strength is what gets me by. I been through many trials, problems,
setbacks looses, accidents, failures disappointments, cheated on, trust,
and many more. But I never gave up, quit, transferred. Not in my blood.
What am I teaching myself, family, friends and others if I did. Sometimes,
somethings are more important than me. Remember, God, Country and family
always comes first.

I went a long way in saying I am against transferring. Because it says I
quit. To me I quit. Adapt, overcome and achieve. It can be done if in the
right frame of mind. It can be done. Just ask Koko. She should be someone
every player should follow. She overcame alot, tragedy, paint, disappoint-
ment. But she never gave up. Always put team first. We would not have won
the National Title without her. It is players like Huffman, Cable, Koko
the Johnsons, our walkones. They are who I truly admire. Because they
Adapted, overcame, and achieved.

I apologize for this rambling. Blame NDOOGIE. He brought up a subject
very close to my heart. He did an outstanding job on his presentation.
I feel very important and accurate.

No long post for a while now. Promise.

SEG/cHIEF

Thanks for mentioning Koko
by BIG MAC  (2019-05-10 21:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She richly deserved that praise, and it is true that we wouldn't have won that title without her.

Great example for staying the course
by Murcer68  (2019-05-10 21:45:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Koko didn't give up and stuck with the program. She now has memories that will last a lifetime, and has provided us with the same.

Agree *
by Murcer68  (2019-05-10 17:37:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ali Won't Be There When Dani Starts Playing....
by dillon77  (2019-05-10 14:20:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...if Dani P has to sit out a year (and she said she'd not applying for a waiver). Ali only has one year of eligibility left.

Whoa, I expected her to head back east, as well. Or even see if her Tennessee yen was still intact: gosh knows there are PT opportunities there now that Mimi Collins has left.

Well, Teri Moren is doing a nice job with a combination of recruits and transfers. Best of luck to Dani playing for her.

Good Luck. We now close that book and move on *
by RISteve  (2019-05-10 17:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't Ali petition for another year because she sat out
by MPG  (2019-05-10 14:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

her first year at ND with the knee injury? That would give her four years of playing within six.

Good Point. But Would She Want To?
by dillon77  (2019-05-10 18:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess a lot depends on how she plays this year, but i'm sure she has professional aspirations and might want to get to the next level. Besides, best friend -- fellow transfer Brenna Wise -- will use up her eligibility.

Guess we'll find out!