This AP Article Addresses Eligibility Waivers...
by dillon77 (2019-05-30 18:32:31)

In reply to: Articles on Transfers. One Addresses Players, Programs  posted by dillon77

..and the main person expressing consternation at the growing amount of immediate waivers is ND's Mike Brey. Now, even though we're talking about guys' hoops here, the men and women are governed by the same rules regarding transfers.

The article (I've iinked it) starts this way:

'The NCAA is granting too many waivers allowing players who transfer to compete immediately, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said Wednesday, calling the requirement that players sit out a year a useful “deterrent” to players switching schools.

'“As coaches we’re concerned about the number of waivers, to the point where the NCAA has given too much of a blueprint on how to get a waiver,” Brey said. “Kids feel they can go and, you know, bring up enough of a case to get eligible right away. So they’re more apt to want to go.”

'Brey said he believes players should be free to transfer and that it’s up to coaches to make their players want to stay, but he said sitting out a year can be beneficial and prevents players from transferring for immature or capricious reasons.

'“It’s a bit of a deterrent for a kid. The year in residency saves kids from themselves sometimes,” Brey said. “I’ve seen some kids then come back, stick it out, and now they’re in the lineup and they come back five years later and go, ‘I was an idiot.’ Because every kid thinks about (transferring) when he’s not playing.”

- Of course, others look at this slightly differently.
"Commission co-chairman Arne Duncan, the former U.S. Secretary of Education, declined to comment on waivers but lauded the “transparency” of the NCAA’s transfer portal, in which players submit their names if they want to switch schools."

- There have been many articles posted on various boards showing that mid-majors are particularly concerned about this development, fearing their programs are almost "minor league" systems for P5 programs.