Sedona Prince To Visit UConn
by dillon77 (2019-06-13 09:16:16)
Edited on 2019-06-13 09:35:02

UConn beat writer Carl Adamec writes that the 6'7" center, who entered the transfer portal from University of Texas, will visit Storrs next week for two days. Some background:

- During her initial recruiting, Prince committed to UT, then reopened her search. During that time, Geno A. paid her a home visit and she then recommitted to UT.

- She has connections to curent UConn players via U.S. National Team. In 2016 and 2018, her teammates included UConn sophomores Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa.

Of course, she also played on the 2018 team with incoming ND frosh Anaya Peoples. There is no word if Prince plans on visiting ND as of this moment.

Developing relationships with players while playing on U.S. National teams can lead to future relationships. Jessica Shepard says that playing with Bri Turnerrey and Marina Mabrey factored into her considering Notre Dame. And both players, particularly Marina, were not shy about reaching out to her. So, hopefully Anaya is working the social media.

IF
by Domer65  (2019-06-13 16:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should Sedona Prince choice UCONN, and if she is 100% recovered from her injury, UCONN will have a realistic chance for the Final Four - as will Oregon and Baylor.

It interested me to see that their beat writer received this
by MPG  (2019-06-13 15:27:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tip and confirmed it with Mrs. Prince. Our local writers never seem to receive information about visits and certainly don't seem to seek it. I supect that the Yukon coaches pass leads to their writers when it suits their needs, as happened when Sam Brunelle announced her commitment to ND.

Geno cultivated a fan boy press corp
by KORZO78  (2019-06-14 09:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He socializes with them: plays golf and takes them out to dinner. He also leveraged ESPN being in Conn. to his own advantage. My sense is Muffet has kept the local media at arm's length. Recently, she has started to use her position as a platform for issues that she feels strongly about.

I am not making a value judgement about which is better, just an observation. My sense is there are pluses and minuses to each approach.

another thing to consider
by pablo  (2019-06-14 08:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

newspapers are notoriously understaffed today. At the South Bend Tribune, fair or not, ND football is the sport that receives all the attention. Even during football's off-season and while basketball is in season, it's not unusual to see more stories on ND football than women's basketball. In Hartford I suspect the priorities are flipped given UCONN's football program.

That's a Thought-Provoking Point ...
by dillon77  (2019-06-14 08:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...MM obviously likes to keep specific recruiting ventures very much under lock and key (and we can guess a lot of the reasons ...). Like you say, Geno/Chris Dailey seem to selectively leak/use local media when it befits them. I suspect there are advantages to both.

In the case of Prince, why not let folks know they've been chosen for a visit: "after all these years, Ms. Prince still values our program." Even if she does not go there, there's a PR/branding element to it.

MM goes about it a different way...perhaps relying on a more private touch. ND tends to stand for itself. However, the ND social media team does release those photos of kids in uniform (which I've often felt is a jinx, but that's just me. Kind of like wearing a race shirt before you've run the race.).

Interesting to note the observations on the Hartford and New Haven papers and ESPN (which is just down the pike) being courted by Geno. If you were to read the Boneyard today in regards to MM's upcoming article in Sports Illustrated, you'd think ND had SI and Meredith Corporation in their back pocket.
I'm amazed at the capacity for self-victimization that is rampant these days...

Their beat writers have had every recruiting detail
by Goirish01  (2019-06-13 16:00:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For years. It’s infuriating.

Prince
by hempfield75  (2019-06-13 11:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Okay, So UCONN gets Prince. That could hurt them for Deberry. Maybe if she
commits to Oregon. Watson has a change of heart. You can have only so many
post players.

SEG/Chief

UConn and Oregon are the only places anyone wants to play
by Orangutan  (2019-06-13 10:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I said before.

Hopefully, she visits ND, too. But it seems like most transfers only ever take one visit.

Well, I guess Shepard took two (ND & South Carolina). Still, not a good sign. Unless she is secretly going to be at ND over the weekend before her UConn visit. I'm just trying to speak that one into existence.

Seem To Recall That Chatrice White....
by dillon77  (2019-06-13 13:01:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...visited all three of the schools she targeted: ND, Louisville and, ultimately, Florida State.

Still, point well taken: so many of the transfers seem to have a very good idea of where they want to go.

I seem to recall reading/hearing that Prince wanted to take her time and find the right fit. Let's hope that's the case and that includes taking the time to swing by South Bend. Geesh, you'd think we lost the last two NCAA semifinals against UConn.

One positive note
by Orangutan  (2019-06-13 14:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This post from UConnCat on the Boneyard:

"There’s no indication (or reason to believe) Storrs will be her only visit."

My observation is that Cat is usually right when she says something like this. Enough so that I think she has real sources (or is just incredibly smart/observant).

Per Your/Cat's Point, SkinsHoops86 Raises A Scenario...
by dillon77  (2019-06-14 11:36:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in which UConn gets first shot, then ND 2nd dibs. One can only hope she follows my old bosses' rule for corporate travel: "Go to your furthest destination first, then work you way back home." Stay tuned, indeed.

Prince
by hempfield75  (2019-06-14 20:53:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad to see that she is taking a visit to ND. Hope she falls in love with
it like I did many years ago. A positive is she will get to see all the
progress ND is making regards to facilities. Putting some class rooms in
the football stadium is a great idea. It is on the way to and from the
basketball court.

...I never been to Storrs. How does their facilities compare to ND. I can
not imagine they have as funds available as ND can get.

...My last question. Are Nelson and Prince both Post 5's. If not could Nelson
be switched to a 4...They also seem to be getting fatter at the post
position. It sure would be nice to have UCONNS and Oregon problems getting
post players.

SEG/Chief

Good To Hear About Visits; Agree on the Cat
by dillon77  (2019-06-13 15:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Visits: Glad to hear her state that there's no reason to think this is Prince's only visit. I'm (almost) certain I'd heard that the Princes wanted to take their time and find the right place.

Cat: Now whether Cat read/heard the same thing or gotten it from someone in the know, I'm not certain. However, she's very measured and pretty certain about when she states something, so she's onto something. Whether it's sourced, based on good research or some combination thereof, so be it.

Sometimes some acid drips off her ND-related comments but, hey, The Boneyard is a UConn-related enterprise. In any case, she's a poster I make sure to read.

Thanks.

Wow, The Rich Get Richer, How Many Players Can Uconn and
by savr27  (2019-06-13 10:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oregon have, it looks like they will have 20 girls on their roster when it’s all said and done. What is the appeal when these teams are so stacked and yet we lose our entire starting 5 and we’re scrambling to put a roster together that has enough to even scrimmage in practice- smh

Guaranteed final 4 v probably out in S16 at best
by Btd  (2019-06-14 17:50:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s the issue we have for a transfer that only has one year left to play and with just about any transfer. ND has been killer by losing three that would have been returning starters or star subs next year in AP, Jackie, and EB.

UConn and Oregon are selling “extremely high odds of getting sting with us this year even if you don’t play” v “ND is starting from scratch and is years away from anything close to what you grew up seeing.”

It works on many. ND is selling you are guaranteed to play a lot and history shows we don’t take as long to reload as others say we do. We still have more McDonals AA than all but 2-3 teams.

Maybe that IS Where Negagtive Recruiting Comes In
by hempfield75  (2019-06-13 11:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Oregon and UCONN brings the fact we lost all 5 starters and 2 players
with experience to the attention of recruits. You want to win now. Try us and
not ND. I am pretty sure that is being used against us.

SEG/Chief

What a shocker *
by RISteve  (2019-06-13 10:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruiting
by IrishMikeR  (2019-06-13 13:00:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looks like this upcoming season will be our worst team in many years. I’m not being dramatic either. Very little experience, no established post presence, and very little leadership.
Going to be a long season. Hard to understand why Muffett is struggling in recruiting...especially this year with brand new practice facility. Add that to a national championship and runner up finish in the last two years.

Agreed. Could be a bit before we sniff a FF again. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-06-14 19:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we can contend for the ACC crown and be Top 10..... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-06-14 09:30:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post