The U16 Americas Women's Basketball Championships...
by dillon77 (2019-06-18 10:03:37)
Edited on 2019-06-18 15:25:39

...are taking place in Chile as I type. The U.S. beat El Salvador 114-19 in their opener that looked like the equivalent of a top HS varsity team vs an elementary team.

However, the next game is taking place at 8:15 p.m. EDT (20:15) today (Tuesday) and I believe you can get the feed on YouTube. If you have trouble, a couple of Boneyarders have a thread up and will have links into it.

Here are the players and their numbers:

Here is the US roster and their corresponding uniform numbers:

Saylor Poffenbarger - 4
Olivia Miles - 5
Londynn Jones - 6
Kiki Rice - 7
KK Bransford - 8
Amari DeBerry - 9
Payton Verhulst - 10
Janiah Barker -11
Timea Gardiner - 12
Aaliyah Moore - 13
Sonia Citron - 14
Lauren Betts - 15

You'll recognize a few of these folks from recruiting posts: Sonia Citron, Amari DeBerry, Olivia Miles, to name a few.

Once again, the competition against El Salvador was minimal at best, but Miles has a great handle and is a pass-first guard (look for the guard with the glasses on).

Citron is remarkably smooth for her age, both inside and out, and has impeccable form on her jump shot.

Others who caught my eye:
- Londynn Jones (#6): lefty guard who can set up at the three and drive. Some Vinnie Johnson here.
- Timea Gardner (#12): Started over DeBerry. Tall, very good and smooth at basics of a post. Nice form on the jumper. Looks physcially like Napheesa Collier.
- Payton Verhulst (#10). She started, too, and a lot of people didn't know who she was going into the trials. Tall, lithe and has spring and speed..you can tell this girl plays volleyball. Scorer. 6'0" plus, like Citron.
Strongly suggest that after a visit to Iowa, Coach Niele heads out to Kansas to see Verhulst.

I'll drop a boxscore against Chile.

Replies: