Slightly Updated Recruiting Update, As Of June 21
by dillon77 (2019-06-21 13:31:16)
Edited on 2019-06-21 13:50:38

I've read at various other sites that Hoopgurlz and Prospects Nation have updated their various age rankings, so I went through the update (see above) and adjusted accordingly.

Most rankings moved a bit here or there, but there are a few worth noting.

In 2020, point guard prospect Deja Kelly went up a tick to #19 in Hoopgurlz (HG) and a lot in Prospects Nation (PN), 50 to 31.

Added/tweaked a few prospects from Class of 2021:

- Point Guard Olivia Miles (#2 HG, #3 PN), 5'10" guard from New Jersey
- Guard Payton Verhulst(#9 HG), 6'1" guard from Kansas
- Guard Sonia Citron (up to #17 in HG), 6'1" guard from New York's Westchester County
- Forward/Post Amari DeBerry (#5 HG, #2 PN), 6'5" forward from western New York

All four of these are playing for the u16 U.S.A. Women's National Basketball Team in Chile. The first three are starting.

SkinsHoops86 reported on the game last night and wrote this about Citron:
SkinsHoops86

"(Sonia) Citron is a player I had not really seen before but she is very impressive. Just makes the right play, very good shot selection. Can score at all 3 levels. Good size for at the wing. Has to be a top 5-10 player in the 2021 class."

The U.S. team beat Brazil 107-32 and Citron finished with 16 PTS, 5 REB, 4 STL and 4 BLK.

And a few on that team from the Class of 2022

- Lauren Betts (#1 HG), 6'7" Center from Colorado
- Timea Gardiner (#5 HG), 6'2" forward from Utah*
- KK Bransford (#9 HG), 5'10" guard from Ohio*

* Niele follows both on social media.

Betts scored 15 points, had 14 rebounds and 4 blocks in the game vs. Brazil.

SO, WHAT'S GOING ON WITH BIGS?

Sedona Prince's visit to Storrs earlier in the week was big news on many fronts. There has been no transfer announcement either while she was there or immediately thereafter. That could mean zip, but the longer nothing appears on her twitter, the better for possible other contenders.

Been quiet or tight on news on the ND side. One would think/hope Prince would (re)consider ND, but we'll see.

So, Prince aside (for the moment), it would look like the best opportunity for another big is to add one to the Class of 2020, joining 6'5" Nat Marshall. Those two would, in turn, join 6'3" Mik Vaughn and 6'4" Danielle Cosgrove.

Just for the heck of it, I went to Hoopgurlz (HG) and Prospects Nation (PN) to look at some uncommitted prospects. And in two instances, I went out of the lists. When feasible, I did a scan of twitter accounts to see if it showed anything.

A week or two ago, I assembled a list of uncommitted 2020 bigs. I have absolutely no idea if ND is looking at any of them. But several schools are...I've reprinted it and note that Jayla Kelly is now rated by HG.

- Kamilla Cardoso (HG 5, PN 5), 6'5" Post from Brazil, living in Tennessee.
Tall, athletic, still raw around the edges. Rumored to be looking at SEC teams, but UConn board is also keen. (Seems to have a protected twitter account)
- Dalayah Daniels (HG 15, PN 15), 6'4" forward from Seattle, WA. Forward with the proverbial guard skills and is looking for a coach/system that can let that show. Has also been with different HS coaches every year so looking for stability. Louisville had a home visit with her. Feels like a Nat Marshall type of skill set, so might look for more complementary player. (Another protected twitter account).
- Cameron Williams (HG 26, PN 65) 6'2" Post who helped lead Whitney Young to the Chicago City Championship. She's a lefty who usually goes face-up, but also has a growing "back to the basket" game, according to HG's Olson. (Retweeted MM's statement on Women's opportunities. Has posted offers from Penn State, Texas Tech and UVA.)
- De'Yona Gaston (HG 34, PN 18), a 6'2" forward from Pearland, Texas. If that sounds familiar, its Brianna Turner's hometown. Gaston's write-ups sound familiar: tall, athletic, good rebounder, runs the floor well. (No insights into colleges that I could see, but retweeted Sedona Prince's decision.)
- Sakima Walker (HG 53, PN ), 6'4" center from Columbus Africentric HS who played with Jordon Horston. Supposedly very good athlete who is just tapping the surface offensively. (Scan of twitter sees offers from James Madison, Xavier, West Virginia and Minnesota.)
- Jayla Kelly (#99 in HG), a 6'3" Post from St. Louis, MO. Has been referenced in conjunction with ND awhile ago, but not much seen since. Rugged rebounder and defender in the paint. (According to twitter, has has had home visits from Missouri, Purdue, Vanderbilt, St. Louis. Had home visit from and took OV to Northwestern.
Unofficials to to Louisville, Kansas State and Oklahoma.

Not rated, but known....

- Erika Porter, 6'3" forward from Notre Dame High School in New Jersey. Is also playing with Exodus NYC, AAU team of Nat Marshall and Destiny Adams, a hot 2021 prospect from the Shore. Porter comes highly rated by "Tiny" Green, longtime purveyor of Girls Hoops on the Jersey Shore. He's made Porter an "unofficial" shore player, which is a big kudo. Raw player who could help in the lane while learning more technical skills.

The full report is linked below.

Like usual, if anyone has any corrections, suggestions, additions, deletions, please let me know.

Replies: