Given Current Roster & Circumstances, She's a Post
by dillon77 (2019-06-22 18:08:47)
Edited on 2019-06-23 10:27:10

In reply to: You Are Correct, Even Though She Is 6-04, I Haven't Seen  posted by savr27

Right now, Notre Dame has two players who measure 6'3" or above: Mik Vaughn and Danielle Cosgrove.

Mik plays like a back-to-the-basket center: rebounds, blocks some shots, goes for tips and plays physically, perhaps too physically. Up to now, that's a bit of a problem both for her and the team because she often gets into foul trouble. Unless she learns to foul less or is hidden in a zone, she'll need a sub.

Perhaps Dani Patterson could've spelled her for some minutes at the low post. Although only 6'2", Dani plays pretty tough inside. But Dani's gone south on Rte. 31. Sam Brunelle is 6'2" but she is, at best, a forward; perhaps even more of a tall wing on offense. Shecan help out with rebounding.

So, unless Sedona Prince transfers and gets a waiver and/or MM conjures up a grad transfer, next up in Danielle Cosgrove.

I agree that Danielle certainly didn't look like a traditional post, particularly on offense, when she went deep more often than not. And through most of the year, she didn't look particularly physical in any regard. I think some of the decision on where to play her on offense came from the skill sets of the other four bigs (Vaughn, Patterson, Jess Shepard and Bri Turner) and taking advantage of Danielle's strongest suit: her ability to shoot from range.

However, she did play post in high school. She's got back-to-the-basket moves in the lane, particularly some nice 3/4 hook shots from both sides. And she hits the foul line and elbow jumper well. That's what a lot of today's bigs like to do: venture out from the lane.

And, at the end of last year, I saw some (emphasis on some) aggression on getting in shooters' grilles and more effort on rebounding. That's where she really needs to step up the traditional post duties: on defense and rebounding.

Let's hope it continues because the Irish, as of now, will need her; both in practice to battle Vaughn and in games to spell her.

Best thing to hope for in the summer is hard work on the practice floor, working on endurance and lots of pumping iron.