A problem that accelearated at hyper speed
by KORZO78 (2019-06-24 18:11:58)

In reply to: One more question: Is it a Notre Dame problem?  posted by NDoggie78

Fallout from the AAU/Lebron/NBA mentality seen now in basketball at different levels. Players, and their sometimes overbearing parents and "advisors", focus on what is in their own self interest. They want immediate playing time and a clear runway. I do not totally blame them for not wanting to be recruited over. But now it seems like any possible (and maybe even imaginery) roadblock and they are off to another place. Roster management has become nightmarish.

My sense is the change started to pick up in the women's game with Diamond Deshields and her dream team at UNC. Maybe one of the five or so who signed there finished there. Lots more movement recently especially among the top teams. UConn, Oregon, Louisville, Maryland, and South Carolina have also been revolving doors.

Muffet is in a tough spot. What do you do? Have a roster of seven players? You need depth in case of injuries. As soon as you bring in one good player, one leaves. FWIW, I don't think Ali Patberg or Jordan Nixon made the best long term move for their development, but we live in a democracy and top players have plenty of choices -- and increasingly are taking advantage of them.

I think the NCAA needs to rethink the transfer portal as well. IMO, too much back channel communcations going on and no way to stop it. Also, there needs to be a limited time period when a player can enter their names. What happens next? They wait until the first game and if they are not in the starting lineup, they are out the door and you play them a month later?

Replies: