Pump the brakes
by Mike (2019-06-24 19:10:53)
Edited on 2019-06-24 19:24:29

In reply to: One Almost Wishes A Task Force Could Be Assembled...  posted by dillon77

While I agree with much of what you said I think we need to pump the brakes. You've answered most of your own questions in your post however I don't think Coach is sarcastic with her players. Demanding, high expectations on and off floor and honest in excess, absolutely.

She, like many coaches, hate excuses, won't tolerate lack of effort especially at practice. She admits that she can be difficult to play for and has said numerous times that her level of expectations for her point guard are through the roof. Some wilt but many thrive on this.

Look at the other side of her. She, and her staff, will do anything for their players that give their all to them, their teammates and the university.

Playing time is earned. Minutes are not handed out like candy. In today's world to many kids want instant gratification. That's not how the real world works but there are many coaches out there who have sold their soul to be that new hip "player's coach". Most of them come and go.

Coach has softened her approach over the years. The staff and former players will tell you that but she will never sell out her values and what she thinks her players should be. She has said that Notre Dame isn't for everyone and that if a player has to think to long about coming, it may not be for them.

In a recent article she gave us many of the answers you are looking for. Parents won't let their kids fail. To many of them blame the coaches at the first sign of difficulties. Transfer is the big answer instead of telling them they made a commitment and it's going to be difficult. Your coach isn't going to be your best friend most of the time.

I would never want another person leading this program or these young ladies. Trust the process.

Replies: