Ah, You're Talking About "Major" Contributors....
by dillon77 (2019-06-25 18:51:44)

In reply to: I never considered Melissa D'Amico to be a major contributor  posted by MPG

...which I guess you would say were the lead players of the teams on which they played.

Fair enough, but she wasn't chopped liver:

A 2008 graduate of Notre Dame, D'Amico was a four-year letterwinner who started in 58 of 119 games for the Fighting Irish. She received Big East Player of the Week honors in both 2006 and 2007. In her four-year career, Notre Dame was ranked as high as fourth in the nation, made an NCAA Sweet 16 appearance, and was 90-39 overall.

And she played in Europe quite a few years before beginning a upwardly mobile coaching career that finds her at Wake Forest in our ACC, after a solid stint at Yale.

So, while she's certainly not a Gaither or a Mabrey, I think it was a pretty good stint while there and even a bit better as an ND alum.

However, Long Island isn't known for solid high school programs for women. In part, that's because parochial schools that play at a high level go no further east than LI Lutheran. And it's hard to keep a public school at top level, year in and year out, unless you have a great coach and/or a family (Mabreys) that feed it for a decade or so.

Plus, Long Island girls have other sports that draw their interest (lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, etc.).

Like you and I said, head over the Hudson and check out Jersey (again). And I think Sonia Citron is worth a trip to White Plains!