New NCAA waiver policy
by BB Junky (2019-06-26 11:18:43)
Edited on 2019-06-26 16:20:18

It's good to see the NCAA is acting to try to reel in what has become the wild wild west in college athletics. The proliferation of transfers from program to program has gotten out of hand and really put the coaches in a bad place. College athletes are young adults who don't always see the big picture on making a quick decision to change a path that temporarily might be difficult. Just think of all the ND athletes over the years that were ready to leave. Things turned around for them and sticking it out was the best decision they ever made. (Matt Farrell)

I don't take the position, as many in this blog have, that you can condemn whole generation, (millennials) and throw them into a pot and say they are all spoiled. Frankly, it wasn't them who made the rules.

The flight from the ND program, however should force this coaching staff into self reflection mode. The rules have changed and this great coaching staff needs to also change or fall behind. It's now several years in a row that ND has been hit hard from transfers. I would say it now a pattern of behavior. My guess is MM will figure it out. This will be a middle of the pack ACC team this year but if we can keep the nucleus together and add on again, the fall from the top won't be too prolong.

Here is the link for the new NCAA proposal
by RISteve  (2019-06-26 12:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per Raoul:

Link, below

Thanks-I couldn't find it on ESPN. This is a good thing. *
by Domerduck  (2019-06-26 15:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally found the ESPN article by Rittenberg-more details.
by Domerduck  (2019-06-26 17:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This includes an interview with Attorney Tom Mars who has helped players get waivers. He agrees it's more restrictive despite the NCAA's assertion the changes are "minor" but has a different opinion: "The long-term solution to this problem is blindingly obvious," said Mars, "The legislative council should scrap the incomprehensible waiver guidelines and replace them with a rule allowing every student-athlete to transfer one time without penalty". Obviously he's not on the school and coaches who make the investment in the player who wants to transfer. I think making it harder to xfr makes sense and sitting out one year does that. Waivers need to be justified.

There was a possible solution last year that was killed.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2019-06-26 22:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Committee on Academics had been reviewing transfers for quite some time and had come up with a concept that would allow a student-athlete to transfer and not sit a year only if he or she had a certain GPA, likely in the 3.2 range. This concept would have applied to all sports, so some basketball, football, and baseball players would have now been able to transfer and be immediately eligible, while some soccer, track, volleyball, etc. players would have to sit for the first time after transfer. This Committee had a ton of data to support their concept, which was gaining quite a bit of traction.

Then the Rice Commission on Men's College Basketball casually dropped that they thought the NCAA should continue to require transfers to sit a year. Completely unprompted and completely outside their lane of review, this toss-in cut the legs out from the Committee on Academics and killed that concept.

The real irony is that the Commission, by recommending no change to the transfer rule, along with the NCAA's waiver precedent, led to more transfers in basketball through continued abuse of the waiver process, than if the Committee's GPA concept was adopted.

And instead of fake "good" grades SEC schools would give ...
by NDoggie78  (2019-06-27 08:58:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

unwarranted "bad" grades so none of their players could ever transfer

When a school like UNC can give grades for an imaginary class, I don't trust any of these schools to not game the system

I think sitting out a year is the best policy with very very few waivers (and yes, I'm not sure I would have given Jess Shepard a waiver - but of course I don't know all the details)