ND Hoops Recruits comment on Prince visit
by RISteve (2019-06-30 11:18:53)

I hope this materializes. Would be a great get

“WBB: $ board on Sedona's visit: "She is on campus. Just saw her in the bookstore. Stood next to her in line. Great kid. Told her if she chooses ND she is set for life, she said she is realizing that now. Says she loves it here. Muffet and staff (along with her mom) were with her"”

Nothing wrong with this chance encounter. *
by SB Jimbo  (2019-06-30 20:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice story, thanks for sharing!!
by MackyBoy  (2019-06-30 19:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't find anything creepy about it. How could you not notice a girl who is 6-7 and your an avid ND fan of all their sports teams. To say hello is perfectly fine in my book.

Agree. Should everyone who lines up along the library mall
by Tim Kelley  (2019-06-30 20:27:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the football team walk to the stadium not comment directly to the recruits who are with the team ? I think it’s harmless in those situations.

You really don't see the difference?
by El Kabong  (2019-06-30 21:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The potential for NCAA violation given that football players are CURRENT STUDENT ATHLETES and recruits are not?

I think there is a difference between being on-campus and
by DBCSMITH  (2019-07-01 09:13:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not being on campus. When on-campus it is expected that people will talk to you and these are normal. When off-campus you may not have discussions other than courtesy hellos unless you already have a regular relationship.

A sales pitch should be avoided.
by Kayo  (2019-07-01 19:44:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friendly conversation is fine. "I hope you're enjoying your visit" is fine.

"If you choose Notre Dame, you'll be set for life" is not appropriate. A sales pitch or anything else that smacks of recruiting activity should be left to coaches and host players.

Great video. I had never seen that before. *
by Murcer68  (2019-07-01 19:51:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. Thanks for Posting *
by dillon77  (2019-07-02 06:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This *
by Tim Kelley  (2019-07-01 13:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure the NCAA has plenty of under cover agents
by MackyBoy  (2019-06-30 23:52:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hanging out at ND trying to get a fan talking to a recruit, while all the SEC pay players bundles of money, cars and housing and they don't do anything to expose all those violations. I think your worrying about nothing. And women's basketball to boot ? But feel free to worry if you must.

lack of understanding
by rjp172  (2019-07-01 07:51:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When these recruits go on visits and attend a game as part of the weekend they are monitored while in the stadium to prevent fans from approaching and trying to influence recruits. What if the person talking to the recruit is a booster? You most certainly should be concerned about possible NCAA violations even if considered minor. Doesn't matter if it's women's basketball.

Is there a difference when this is a college student who is
by Domerduck  (2019-06-30 22:27:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the transfer portal vs a high school student being recruited. Prince was a Freshman at University of Texas last year and is seeking a transfer. I really don't know as to difference for risk of an NCAA violation between a college student in the transfer portal vs a high school student.

By the way I didn't see Prince while she was here in Oregon so no violation on my part.

Domer Duck: What is your prediction here on her choice? *
by Irish75  (2019-06-30 22:31:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never predict what a teenager might do. I couldn't do it
by Domerduck  (2019-07-01 01:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with my kids, so I definitely won't try with someone else's kids.

There is a picture of Prince in a full Oregon uniform
by Irish75  (2019-06-30 23:32:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With her mother saying “We are having the time of our lives here in Oregon. Such a beautiful place” Hard to say if it means anything with her agreeing to put on a full Oregon Uniform along with even Oregon sneakers. If I was handicapping I would say her choice is going to be Oregon.

That's for social media
by okerland  (2019-07-01 14:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she does pick Oregon, the Ducks want to have the picture ready to post as does Prince.

I believe every recruit who visits ND does the same.

It means nothing....She was being gracious to her hosts.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-07-01 07:57:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for passing this along. *
by 2Domer  (2019-06-30 12:20:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This probably is a good time to repeat our mantra here
by El Kabong  (2019-06-30 11:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one should be speaking to recruits, on visits or otherwise

I realize you weren't the one doing it, but obviously someone out there was doing it, and they shouldn't.

Much to do about nothing. *
by Mike  (2019-06-30 21:50:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent reminder! *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-06-30 17:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry. Please delete if you see fit *
by RISteve  (2019-06-30 12:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're good, and it shouldn't be deleted
by El Kabong  (2019-06-30 12:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To the contrary, it should be pointed out. I had the thought after reading that tweet, and if you hadn't mentioned it, I would have.

Plus, it's just really creepy. *
by Chicos bail bonds  (2019-06-30 12:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please don't take this poorly, but
by MackyBoy  (2019-06-30 19:09:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what is creepy about one human engaging another human in conversation ? I mean, if you bumped into someone you recognize by accident, that is totally different than someone stalking someone. People who are jock sniffer types who try to bump into "athletes, musicians, celebrities", yes, that is creepy. But just bumping into someone by chance and striking up a short and polite conversation is totally cool in my book. Just wanted to make a distinction between the two. They are two totally different things.

If that person was not a prospective athlete, would
by chicos bail bonds  (2019-07-01 13:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you still say hello and strike up a conversation. What if it was a high school senior who was entertaining an academic scholarship? Would you still say something. Look, it's nothing personal against you or that person but the idea of voluntarily speaking to an athletic recruit just isn't a place I care to go. If someone were to approach me asking my opinion, then I might engage in conversation. However, the idea of approaching recruits just seems very much "fanboy" type behavior. Just my opinion - trust me, I've done plenty of questionable things in my life.

Really?
by El Kabong  (2019-06-30 21:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"If you choose ND, you're set for life"

That's a "short polite conversation"?

Let's take this another direction -- how do think the coaches feel about interactions like that?

Hint: I know the answer, and it ain't the one you're gonna wanna hear.