Syracuse's Tiana Mangakahia Shares Cancer Diagnosis
by dillon77 (2019-07-01 13:53:25)
Edited on 2019-07-01 13:57:07

Like many of us, I'm unfortunately getting increasingly frequent notes about classmates who have passed away are at later stages of illnesses, but am not used to seeing it for young athletes.

And while the Syracuse point guard Tiana Mangakahia does not play for the Irish, she is an ACC rival I have a lot of admiration for; not only for her obvious and exciting skill sets, but the for tenacity and heart that has gone into developing those ball-handling and shooting skills. She'll need all of that grit to augment the treatment she'll receive for breast cancer. All the best to her and hope to see her on the court in some capacity this winter. Keep the faith, Tiana.

From a letter she posted (full version below):

"On this day (June 18th), I was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer (Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma). As of right now I am starting chemotherapy on Friday and will have to undergo surgery after treatment.

:I know this will be tough, but I will get through it. This is just the beginning for me and I will come out stronger. I have much more to accomplish and I hope to inspire others to overcome their own adversity just like I know I will."