Jordan Nixon To Texas A&M
by dillon77 (2019-07-02 07:27:04)
Edited on 2019-07-02 11:28:13

Jordan Nixon, who entered the transfer portal a little more than a week ago, has chosen to transfer to Texas A&M.

If you recall, Nixon hails from Harlem and attended private high schools Horace Mann Academy and The Mary Louis Academy. Her other finalists coming out of high school were Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame, Virginia and Georgia. Jordan didn't take long to make a decision once entering the portal, so it's reasonable to wonder how the Texas A&M pairing came about (she says it was not because of the NCAA playoff game).

I've attached an article and Jordan goes on about A&M's culture and what she's looking for -- and not -- in a team atmosphere.

"Texas A&M’s family atmosphere won over the 5-foot-8 former Miss New York award winner.

“It just felt right,” Nixon said Monday night. “It embodies everything that I want. I think coach [Gary] Blair and his staff have established a culture that I really do want to be part of.”

"Nixon said she was looking for a place where everyone works hard and gets along, making her announcement via social media.

“The season is long and it’s easy to get tired of people, and just having to deal with other things, [so] if there’s no drama or anything [else] to be worried about outside of getting a win and just being there for each other in the hard times,” Nixon said. “I mean, that’s what it’s all about.”

As for Notre Dame:
“It just wasn’t the right fit for me,” Nixon said. “Nothing against Notre Dame, it’s just sometimes you’re going through a phase and once you’re in it, it doesn’t quite fit right. And I really don’t know how else to explain it.”

She'll sit out a year before being eligible to play in 2020. Good luck to her. Maybe the two teams will run into each other in the NCAA's again. Stay tuned.

It is sad to rise to the level where major recruits leave
by NTGD  (2019-07-02 18:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am calling this the era where players feel it is all owed to them. A&M has lost some too. The Aggies are this year's SEC favorite, so he is building a year out

Huffman, Nelson, KMac, and the list goes on
by Murcer68  (2019-07-02 19:14:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huffman stays and makes a key defensive stop in the National Semi, Nelson stays and is a key part of winning the National Title, KMac doesn't transfer after an awful start to her college career and she becomes an all-time great. It's sad that some women don't stick it out and play through the rough patches.

What if Shepard had stuck it out and not transferred?
by dfw  (2019-07-03 11:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, some leave at the first obstacle, but sometimes leaving is best for all involved. Sure more students are moving and probably not always for the better, but we don't know why most are leaving(not just ND, but everywhere) and should respect it.

I think the biggest issue for coaches is that they are not in complete control now. And I think that is a good thing.

I did not mention Spinderella, Taya, or others
by Murcer68  (2019-07-03 17:35:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with the fact that sometimes a move is good for all concerned. On the other hand, I also think people give up too easily these days when things get rough.

Who is Spinderella? *
by hibernianangst  (2019-07-03 21:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michelle Marciniak
by Murcer68  (2019-07-04 11:11:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She transferred from ND to Tennessee and won a national championship for Pat Summitt.

Thank you. I thought that might be who you were referencing. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-07-04 11:34:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Refresh my mem. on KMac. I was around but don't remember
by Jon  (2019-07-03 11:46:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how she started.

Interesting to me because she's turned out to be, probably my favorite player to watch. ND and now.

Academically ineligible 2nd semester freshman year
by SixShutouts66  (2019-07-03 13:53:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know if there were other issues. Also wonder if we might have won an NC that year if she had been eligible for the tournament.

It was just academics. She missed the team so much she
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-03 18:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

slept in the ACC!

Great Post and Great Examples
by hempfield75  (2019-07-02 22:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus add in BT. Did not have to come back for a 5th year. Could have gone
pro. Granted it was to her best interest to come back. Another one was
Diamond Thompson. She was not a major contributor.But she did come back.
There are hundreds of great examples in many sports where the person
stuck it out and the team and player were rewarded.

...To much me ball today. I also wonder about other influences. She said this
has been going on for quite some time but just announced her intentions to
enter the portal. To me sounds like some one or somebodies were in
her ears.

...I am also a strong believer that the grass is not always greener in the
other pasture.

Now in the age of "the transfer portal "
by tedstheman  (2019-07-02 21:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many kids will just leave instead of having to do anything that's difficult. The worst thing the NCAA has ever done, and that's a high bar.

Hopefully the NCAA will relook at this in the near future
by hempfield75  (2019-07-02 22:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And decide the portal is not in the best interest of the athlete or the
school. Either modify it or send it back to the way it was.

SEG/Chief

HA!!! *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-07-02 16:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No regrets on either side...
by Sedamo  (2019-07-02 15:24:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Did anyone who watched Jordan Nixon in an Irish uniform ever see her leading us to another Final Four?

2. I'd guess the ND staff would agree it wasn't a fit, either. So her comments are likely very accurate.

3. She's just a kid and kids love to talk about not liking "drama" and wanting to be in an environment where "everyone gets along". Very often the ones who say those things play a large part in creating the issues of which they complain.

4. We should all wish her the best. At least she gave ND a try. It's definitely not for everyone who walks through the door.

You hit it on the nose *
by txirish74  (2019-07-02 19:50:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was unsurprised when she entered the portal.
by PWK2  (2019-07-02 13:30:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Through 3/4 of the year, her body posture and look on her face said, 'I don't want to be here'. She started getting chewed on by the coaches. In the last quarter of the season, she started smiling and cheering on the bench, so I had hoped she had turned a corner. But still, not surprising.

Given her fairly high Hoopgurlz ranking, I expected and expect more from her. Hope she has a great career. Here, her defense was soft, she didn't drive the ball from the point, she turned it over and didn't shoot well.

Were you in the back seat of the car?
by ndamage  (2019-07-02 22:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your post reads like you spent the majority of your time focusing on her. You provide a lot of detail about someone who didn't play much during the year.

I was never that high on Nixon
by BB Junky  (2019-07-02 11:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but do you think there is something to her statement of "getting along"? I have suspected that this team was split somewhat. At times I wondered how much team chemistry there actually was. You were either "in" or did not play hardly at all. Of course last years team was loaded at the top so it makes sense, but I wonder if the younger players felt like they were on the outside looking in.

All of the underclassmen would have had substantial playing time going forward so what the reason for so many transfers lately?

Last Years' Team Chemistry
by bebo1226  (2019-07-02 13:13:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems to me that if YOU suspected the team was fractured, the coaches would've known also. If they didn't it's a fail. If they did, it's a fail because whatever they did or didn't do to correct it-failed. Win at all costs-COSTS. Especially because this staff always stresses team chemistry. Hopefully the team is moving forward as a unit, and not as a team of all-stars and this is a bump in the road that's been smoothed. Anyway, it's all speculation.

Good grief *
by Mike  (2019-07-02 16:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More polite than what i was thinking *
by Drmurray  (2019-07-02 21:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was fast
by RISteve  (2019-07-02 10:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good luck to her as we all adapt to this new world of college basketball. Hope it works out for her. The grass is not always greener; so we shall see how Jordan does in Texas. I do like the coach-he seems to get his team to play hard

She burned the bridge after crossing.
by hibernianangst  (2019-07-02 07:55:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing like leaving with dignity and grace. She was obviously very unhappy at Notre Dame and was looking for any way to get out. Despite her comments, I believe she is in for a real culture shock at A&M. The Notre Dame coaching staff must be very disappointed in her comments.

Quiet dignity and grace. *
by PWK2  (2019-07-02 13:24:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe she didn't get along with others on team.
by tedstheman  (2019-07-02 11:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of her comments make it sound like there was some sort of not getting along. In these days of the transfer portal, some find it easier to leave rather than work it out. Not a good habit to get into when you join the real world after college.

I don't get that at all.
by Otter  (2019-07-02 10:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the comments were reasonable. Praising the new school is normal for any kid heading to a new destination. I wish her well.

Idk, comments didn't seem too over the top. Unless there's
by Jon  (2019-07-02 09:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

more in the linked article. Didn't read it yet.

The references to drama, long season, etc. are a shot.. *
by ndpaul  (2019-07-03 10:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully that opens the door for a Texas recruit to
by sixtythreer  (2019-07-02 08:50:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

choose ND, and closed it for the same recruit to attend Texas & M.