Some Takes on The Transfer Portal, Effects Thereof....
by dillon77 (2019-07-06 16:49:49)

..by the (Utah) Deseret News, who interviewed a number of Utah-based colleges for their take on transfers, the transfer portal, what they think of it, how it's affected their recruiting, etc.

Full article is linked below. I pulled out a few quotes from Utah Women's Basketball Coach Lynne Roberts:

- Roberts said they’re learning that the player rarely acts independently. As such, it’s important to have a pulse on the athletes as well as their circle of influence.

(Dillon's druthers: When Dani Patterson announced she was going into the transfer portal, she apparently was at home and said she had input from folks that were most certainly "a circle of influence.")

- “I’m learning this and sometimes you have to learn things the hard way, but you have to recruit kids whose circle of influence you can tell are going to stick with challenges,” Roberts said.

- “Ideally I’d love to have three or four five-star freshmen every year. But that’s not the reality typically,” Roberts said. “So transfer recruiting is very real and we’re getting in the game."

Thanks to Raoul for original post.

Circle of influence
by tedstheman  (2019-07-06 17:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Parents are one thing but AAU and club coaches are a big part of the problem. They criticize how kids are or are not being played and they have personal interests in steering kids to programs, sometimes in their best interest and not necessarily the kids.

Transfer Portal
by hempfield75  (2019-07-06 17:02:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice post and totally agree with the Utah coach. Believe the same thing
happened to Jordan. Believe she was away from campus quite awhile and
then decided to transfer.

...I am old school. Do not believe in transferring or the grass is greener
somewhere else. I was on the hardwood myself for quite some time. But I
never gave up and discovered what I needed to do to improve and worked my
butt off. Then never sat on the bench again. There were times I was begging
for the bench but things worked out for me. Todays kids need to take a step
back and put a lot of thought into their sport of choice and what they need
to do to make themselves better. Most coaches will be honest with their
players. If they feel it is in their best interest to transfer they will
tell them. Some will even make phone calls for them. But the Utah coach is