Mid-Summer Roster Reflections
by MPG (2019-07-11 11:25:59)

Earlier this week I listened to a WSBT radio interview with Mike Brey. As Mike discussed his roster, I began to see some parallels with the ND women's roster. In the spirit of Baba, I share these with the Bench!

Marta Sniezek and Rex Pflueger: grad student guards who are gritty defenders, good distributors of the ball, and suffered season ending injuries last year.

Destinee Walker and TJ Gibbs: experienced guards who will need to be solid defenders and add some scoring punch to their line-ups as likely starters. Their productivity, or lack of it, will be significant factors this season.

Mikayla Vaughn and John Mooney: Can Mik take the same step forward that John took last year as he became the low-post mainstay in his junior year? She doesn't have his three-point shot, but she needs to average 12 points and 9 rebounds per game for the Irish to prosper.

Abby Prohaska and Nik Djogo: willing defenders at the guard/wing positions who need to be more productive on offense, if they wish to increase their playing time.

Katlyn Gilbert and Robby Carmody: sophomore guards who had their first seasons curtailed by shoulder injuries. Can they become significant contributors on offense and defense?

Sam Brunelle and Nate Laszewski: young stretch 4s who must become highly effective three point shooters this season as well as providing some help on the defensive end.

Anaya Peoples and Dane Goodwin: versatile young guards who will need to be effective players this season.

Danielle Cosgrove and Chris Doherty: sophomore forwards with Irish surnames. The women need Danielle to show major improvement this season and it would help the men if Chris could do the same. She needs to play with his level of energy.

I also saw parallels between Jordan Nixon and Prentiss Hubb, but as we know all too well, Jordan is gone. I am hoping that I'll be able to link Juwan Durham with Erin DeGrate or another transfer post player, but time is slipping away...

Replies: