I Think Your Analogy Discounts Mik Vaughn...
by dillon77 (2019-07-14 18:15:24)

In reply to: If ND doesn't add a post player, then we'll be seeing a team  posted by MPG

..whom, I believe, you challenged to get some 9 rebounds per game and score 12 points per contest. Guess who did that, roughly, for Marquette last year? Erika Davenport, the undersized 5'11" forward (stretch there) who came in a 11.4 ppg and 9.3 rpg.

Going south to DePaul, they relied on their point guard -- Kelly Campbell -- to lead the team in both assists and rebounds.

I think both of those teams would jump up and down to have had 6'3" Mik Vaughn. If the Irish can get the numbers you ask of her, those will probably produce some pretty good blocks and uncharted things like intimidation.

We can hope that Danielle Cosgrove at the collegiate level is more than just 3-point shooting. I know I saw lefty and righty jump hooks in the lane when I saw her play as a sophomore and junior!

My point is, with Dani Patterson's transfer, there just don't appear to be many options for serviceable bigs next season. But we're not without some height. We've just got to hope they both develop and that Mik Vaughn can stay in games. And that Sam Brunelle can be a combination of Elena Della Donne, Kat Westbeld and Jess Shepard, all rolled into one! That won't happen for a frosh, but I'm kind of looking forward to how this puzzle is addressed (at least from a coaching standpoint).

What I will be watching (and critical of) is what happens with the Class of 2020 and 2021.