Any impact to Niele?
by RISteve (2019-07-29 12:58:36)

I am not familiar with the school or location...

Link, below:

Possibly
by SBJIMBO  (2019-07-29 13:46:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've already heard from some locally who aren't happy with the Ivey family decisions. First both snubbed ND by choosing Purdue, now both have snubbed the high school that's supported him for 3 years. Most kids who transfer to LaLu haven't made a college decision yet. They're going there to improve visibility before deciding their next step. That wasn't the case with him, so some don't get the decision to leave Marian.

I'm sure it won't have any impact on Niele's future, just how some in the community view her loyalties.

It's 100% about competition
by crazymary  (2019-07-30 20:11:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know you remember but some obviously forget how much Demetrius struggled adjusting to college basketball. It was pretty rough for awhile. And he was a top-level athlete and prospect.

The kids that Jaden would play against in practice everyday weren't going to help him be as prepared as possible for college. And neither were the opponents they regularly play. Marian played the #120 SOS last year in the state. Michiana basketball has a few solid young prospects but nothing remotely like he'll see at LaLu with who they have and who they play against.

Also doesn't help that I heard DJ recently
by chicos bail bonds  (2019-07-29 21:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

committed (or already did) to replacing the basketball floor at Marian. Good for DJ for doing that which also places him in an even greater spot of affinity with local fans. That news, along with Ivey's transfer, isn't going to create much local favor. I get it in terms of his continued development, but if I were a teammate, it wouldn't sit very well with me. Just another step towards the end of high school basketball as we know it. At some point, players are only going to suit up for high profile travel teams or teams like LaLu.

I have a hard time faulting him for choosing Purdue
by Tex Francisco  (2019-07-29 16:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jaden grew up in a small town, college bubble where his mom is a local celebrity. Unless he blossomed into a real star, it would have been hard for him to ever obtain his own unique identity. In this regard, he is not similarly situated to Skylar Diggins or Demetrius Jackson. Although maybe not as high profile of recruits, Mike Brey's son (presumably a walk on caliber player) and Greg Mattison's son made similar situations. Mario Lucia didn't want to play for his dad. I don't think Jaden's decision is unusual.

it's a weird move for sure
by fontoknow  (2019-07-29 14:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Ivey reopening his recruitment?

Did Purdue ask that he play against better opponents?

Did he want to play against better opponents?

Did his AAU coach broker this?

Some deep ND connections to LaLu but that doesn't appear help us sign basketball players.

The school is in/near LaPorte, IN ...
by CJC  (2019-07-29 13:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so not necessarily.

LaPorte may be the Post Office, but it's off Rte 20, not far *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-07-29 15:33:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post