Niele may leave to join the Memphis Grizzlies (link)
by SBJIMBO (2019-07-30 16:55:40)

She accepted
by joeyt28  (2019-08-05 15:10:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to NDHoopsRecruits tweet.

Not To Be A Debbie Downer About This, But I Don't See How
by savr27  (2019-07-31 20:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This move prepares Ivey for a head coach job in women’s basketball. If I understand correctly, she’s being considered to be on the coaching staff of an NBA men’s basketball league. This is much different then being a head coach for a collegiate women’s basketball team. The play and style is different and recruiting is a major component to college basketball. Now, unless Ivey is trying to prepare herself for coaching in the NBA, then yes, this is a great move.

But, if her aspirations is to be a women’s college head coach, then in my opinion, this is a waste. I would have preferred her take a head coaching job in college and comeback to ND as McGraw’s successor. I think Ivey has the potential to be a great college coach and if she does leave, it’s a huge blow to recruiting- she’s one of the best out there as she relates well to the younger generation. Selfishly, I hope she doesn’t get the job - lol

broadens her horizons/possibilities
by Doggie  (2019-08-06 14:13:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guessing that if she wanted to only be a college head coach, she could have been already. If she wants to open avenues into other coaching directions (pro assistant, pro head coach, etc) as well as get exposed to other ideas and knowledge/human networks, this is an excellent move. She does this now and she doesn't get typecast into "women's college coach." And it is also easier to do this now, rather than after having been a college head coach.

She can always return to coaching college basketball, particularly if she does that within 2-4 years especially with her pedigree of having worked for McGraw.

If her aspiration is to be a college head coach...
by Orangutan  (2019-08-02 11:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...she would be one already.

There is no lack of interest in Niele. As far as I know she is only interviewing for power-5 jobs. Georgia and Vandy are the two I can recall her being linked most strongly with.

She could get a mid-major head coaching job any offseason she decides she wants one.

I don't think it necessarily prepares her to be a college head coach but she's already well-qualified to do that. If anything, this will raise her profile and make her a more attractive hire to college programs.

Lots of plusses
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-01 08:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) She makes headlines - notoriety won't hurt her (or ND if she returns)
2) She learns a new and faster game from a different perspective - but it's still basketball
3) She learns from a different coach and a different system
4) Talk about learning to manage egos .....
5) If she returns, I can't see how this would hurt her in recruiting - I would think it would help
6) It's a challenge - a woman in a man's game - exactly the thing for which Muffet was an advocate - has to make her stronger

Now I don't want her to go - I actually hoped she would just transition into HC when Muffett called it quits (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't - UT)

agree *
by drmurray  (2019-08-01 09:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate it, but it still feels like goodbye is inevitable if
by Jon  (2019-07-31 17:18:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she is to be best positioned to return as the successor head coach.

But I always thought leaving would be for a head coach spot for the resume.

This, is something different.

Still though, her & Skydigg, main two reasons I ever became a fan. Would be a very bitter pill.

Much better pay than assisting at ND
by fontoknow  (2019-07-31 12:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and exposure to a new set of philosophies that might help her land her next job.

Most people see staff turnover as a bad sign. I see it as an opportunity for both the EE and ER.

Me thinks...
by RISteve  (2019-07-31 07:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...NI was the heir apparent to MM for the head coaching job. Is this new role a temporary landing spot until MM hangs up the whistle? I hope so, but maybe Beth becomes next in line?

Who becomes the recruiting coordinator? I would think Beth is out with her young family and CO appears to be someone who would rather spend her time with the actual coaching of the players, but that is just a guess. Hire may come from outside. FYI...Michaela Mabrey is the recruiting coordinator at LSU.

Is this a sign of a poor recruiting outlook in the near future? I hope not. No way to tell right now.

In summary, this is a very big hit for the program and a great career move for NI. Great for her and I hope it works out.

Never a dull moment around here...

Article from Memphis Commercial-Appeal
by dillon77  (2019-07-31 10:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..regarding the assistant coaching search that head coach Taylor Jenkins is running.

Apparently, Niele Ivey isn't the only coach based in Indiana being considered for the staff. Former Duke forward and current Pacers assistant David McClure is leaving Indiana for Memphis, according to the Indy Star, but no formal announcement is forthcoming.

Here's the C-A's article, which has the subhead "Who is Niele Ivey?" which just goes to show you one persons treasure is....

While I've thought of "what if's..." on my morning walk, I think I'll go George Bush "prudent" on this before turning conversation to next steps for the Irish.

Stay tuned.

In the interest of completeness ...
by CJC  (2019-07-31 10:07:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the linked article also includes a section under the subheadline, "Who Is David McClure?" -- another prospective member of the coaching staff.

So it's not like the author of the article or the editorial staff felt that Niele is uniquely unfamiliar to their readership.

Fair Enough. However, The Editing was Merely Intended...
by dillon77  (2019-07-31 11:36:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..to show that while we Benchers and other WCBB fans know Niele Ivey awfully well, while others (such as folks in Memphis or elsehwere) don't know her from Adam or Eve. And the same holds for Mr. McClure, as you point out.

Besides, my main objective was to have a (hopefully) objective story from a publication that covers the other side of a development that may take next steps for Niele and may not.

BTW, you won't find me taking any random shots at the Commercial-Appeal, a paper that I read for a number of years while living in Mississippi. Commercial-Appeal, Jackson Clarion-Ledger. Love the hyphenated names in that neck of the woods.

Utter. Nightmare. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-30 21:29:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would be one heckuva job
by Murcer68  (2019-07-30 17:04:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she left ND for that job, I'd be very happy for her and proud of her.

Well Jaden’s transfer would now make more sense *
by Irish2000  (2019-07-30 17:03:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't think there's much of correlation
by crazymary  (2019-07-30 20:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jaden's transfer to LaLu is all about being as ready as possible for college. Massive improvement in competition was needed. It's been basically a done deal since sometime around Memorial Day.

The competition he regularly faced at Marian just isn't conducive to him being as prepared as possible as a freshman from day one. If people remember, Demetrius struggled mightily with the transition and he was a top echolon prospect and athlete.

Unfortunately, Marian's SOS was only about #120 in the state last season.

Niele Ivey
by Dublindude (click here to email the poster)  (2019-08-01 16:45:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huge correlation! Niele IS leaving for Coaching position in NBA Memphis Grizzlies. As a Asst Coach. She needed to be assured Jaden would have food on his plate and roof over his head.
He’s accepted Purdue’s Offer, and he will simply be able to enhance his skills. Most players LaLu are looking for scholarships. This all makes sense. Sorry to see her leaving WBB but at least we don’t have to play against her...at least for now

I assume there would be no shortage of classmates'
by rick  (2019-07-30 18:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

families who would have offered to put Jaden up had he stayed at Marian.

Can you explain why?
by Orangutan  (2019-07-30 17:57:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand how this makes Jaden's transfer make more sense. I'm not questioning that it does, I just don't know what the relation between the two would be.

But I'm sure there is something I am missing. Or maybe it's my imperfect understanding of Northwest Indiana towns and schools.

La Lumiere is a boarding school.
by dfw  (2019-07-30 18:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least has that option, so that could be a part of it. If she moves to Memphis, he can live at school.

Thanks, that makes sense *
by Orangutan  (2019-07-30 18:39:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post