Reasonable Question, Particularly After Paige Went Husky
by dillon77 (2019-08-02 09:46:04)

In reply to: My question - why not Van Lith?  posted by NDoggie78

You sent me back to the recruiting summary/ESPN Hoopgurlz to look at height/ranks/comments on players now being considered for a point-guard slot at ND:

- Caitlin Clark, 6' tall, #4 in ESPN rankings, considered by Olson to be "the consummate playmaker."

- Deja Kelly, 5'8" tall, #19, referred to by Olson as a combo guard.
- Alasia Hayes, 5'7" tall, #28, also referred to by Olson as a combo guard, with props for uptempo playmaking and defending.

and, apparently not under consideration (now, ever?):
- Hailey Van Lith, 5'7" tall, #8, referred to, again, as a combo-guard.

Looking at 2021,
- Olivia Miles, 5'10" tall, #2 ranked overall, referred to as a lead-guard.

If I had to put down some chips, I'd say Clark or Miles would be the shiny coins in that recruiting pool. But as pointed out, the Irish are running short on point-oriented guards. Anaya and/or Kaitlyn are going to have to do some back-up PG for Marta Sniezek this year so will have some experience. That would come in handy if Clark comes aboard to take the reins.

But if Clark goes elsewhere, you have other combo-guards (smaller ones) being considered in 2020, before the focus would, conceivably, swing to Miles in 2021.

So, it's a reasonable question...why now swing for the fences with Van Lith? Maybe there's no mutual interest? Not a good mix?

Kelly has had her moments this spring/summer but I can't see Hayes being the ultimate option for long-term PG, based on everything from performance to the Hayes' sisters affinity for playing together (hello, Middle Tennessee State). Also, will a Hayes really be interested in ND if someone like Miles is brought in next year?

Tells me competition for Clark is very tough and options are being brought into the mix. Cross fingers....