Thoughts on the scheduled official visits...
by MPG (2019-08-18 11:51:55)

I find the pairings of recruits on the two weekends to be worthy of discussion. The consensus on McGraw's Bench is that Caitlin Clark and Maddy Westbeld are the two prospects who would complete the 2020 recruiting class as perfect fits: a highly rated point guard and a multi-dimensional forward who may be underrated by the scouting services. They are scheduled to visit on October 12 for the USC weekend. My hope is that they will commit either before or immediately after their official visits. If they wait until the end of October or early November to decide, then I will be worried because from my perspective, these are two recruits who should have been committed to ND by now because they are so well suited for ND. It would be good to learn when they will be taking their other official visits.

I was initially surprised to see that Deja Kelly and Alasia Hayes were visiting on September 28, two weeks earlier than Caitlin Clark, because I viewed them as the alternatives to her, if Caitlin chose to go elsewhere. It would seem awkward to have them visit before she made her decision. However, the more I looked at Deja Kelly's play this summer, I realized that she can be viewed as a combo guard with exceptional athleticism and the potential to be a big-time scorer, perhaps eventually in the mold of Arike. I haven't learned as much about Hayes, but she is certainly viewed as an athletic combo guard and an impressive defender. Either one could be viewed as a good addition on her own, especially if Destinee Walker does not pursue the sixth year option.

The visible intro to the BGI article about recruiting mentions ND as being open to taking five recruits for the 2020 class. My conclusion is that ND will try to land a commitment from Kelly or Hayes when they visit for the UVA weekend and then close the class with commitments from Clark and Westbeld two weeks later.

Alli Campbell will probably take her official visit on one of those weekends and I now view her as a wing who could play some guard when needed. Perhaps Nat Marshall will pay her own way to visit on one of those weeknds.

Coaches contact with committed recruits
by hempfield75  (2019-08-18 16:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not know all the rules when it comes to recruiting female basketball
players. Here is a question. Now that Campbell and Marshall are committed.
Do the coaches have unlimited contact with them? And can the suggest that
Marshall and Campbell come in for a weekend visit with other recruits? Thanks

SEG/Chief

Until Nat and Alli sign on the dotted line in November....
by dillon77  (2019-08-18 17:56:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..they're technically just prospects, like everyone else.
They are governed by the same rules that other prospects, like Caitlin Clark or Maddy Westbeld. So, Nat Marshall, who used an OV to visit South Bend in the spring, would have to use her family's funds to visit again. However, Alli Campbell, who committed long before she was able to use an official visit, can still take one.

And, yes, I'd bet MM suggested exactly what weekend to drop on by....

Thanks Clears Things Up in This Broken Down Brain *
by hempfield75  (2019-08-18 18:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allie visiting with Clark and Westbeld. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-08-18 14:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Source? If True, This Underscores Major Interest ...
by dillon77  (2019-08-18 15:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... in Clark and Westbeld.

Per MPG's point in his excellent post, one would've thought Clark and/or Westbeld would've been highlighted (even committed) since Marshall said "yes." But it's a sign of each young woman's personality and prestige as a hoopster that they're being courted so assiduously by top notch hoops programs.

Hence, where MM decided to bring in the earliest and most certain verbal commit in the class -- Campbell -- bore watching. And it's not a surprise that she's the closer to the last set of 2020 OV's of the year. All three -- particularly Campbell and Clark -- know each other from National Team camps. And, per MPG, all three strike me as good fits for the whole ND experience.

As for the timing of Kelly and Hayes, at first I also wondered why the pairings were not flip-flopped, given the specter of Clark.
But:
- I'm guessing that a mid-October visit has got to be last or close to last for both CC and Maddy Westbeld, perhaps hoping to catch them with an exclamation point of a visit to South Bend.
- And, MPG raises a point in relation to reporting that ND could take up to 5 players in 2020. I've got to think it would be one, but not both of these players (Kelly or Hayes).
Would this take some sort of conditional offering? Anything's possible, I guess.

However, I've really got to think that Clark is still the primary bulls-eye. She wants a chance to step in and play immediately. As such, any dealings with Kelly and Hayes must be positioned correctly...for all concerned.

BTW, per MPG's note, I went back to view some tape of Kelly. She could play a 2 with a handle, for sure. But couldn't one say the same about Anaya and Katlyn Gilbert?

I'm also not sure they're going to decide where to put Alli until all the 2020 cards fall into place. Maddy is a solid 6'2" and has excellent range plus a growing inside game, which sounds a bit like Sam B. Maybe Alli is more of a Maddie Cable-type of guard?

Lastly, wonder if MM will take any home visits in September to aid, augment and possibly make these OV's the final confirmation of a long process?

In any case, here are the four players MM and staff think can join Alli C and Nat Marshall to fill out the class. They've got to be confident they can all add to the squad. Here's to thinking good thoughts and crossing fingers to moving forward. Hope a few of your faves are included!

p.s. Gosh knows I have mine!

I like Allie as a wing/guard in the mold of Maddie Cable.
by MPG  (2019-08-19 13:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A five person class could be a traditional starting line-up of Clark and Kelly as guards, Campbell as a wing/guard, and Marshall and Westbeld at forward. They would be a versatile group with scoring coming from every position on the floor. Their defense would need the normal work required for players moving from high school to college.

Would like that a lot....
by dillon77  (2019-08-20 09:39:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..all reports are that Maddy is starting to develop and feel comfortable playing inside to augment her outside game.

If Alli C. can be anywhere as multi-faceted as Maddie was, kaching.

Just think what could happen when you add this group into Sam and Anaya, Katlyn and Abby, Mik and Danielle.

Fingers crossed.

Whats even scarier
by hempfield75  (2019-08-20 15:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is the possibilities we have in getting in the 2021 class. You add in Fudd,
Miles, Adams, and maybe Canadian Lattimore. Plus the Indiana players alone
in 2022. This team could be dangerous for years.

...Does anyone know how we stand with the Canadian Lattimore. I love what
I read on her. Seams like a good fit for Danielle and Marshall. Thanks

SEG/Chief

In the Blue and Gold article. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-08-18 16:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx. I Don't Have a Subscription! *
by dillon77  (2019-08-18 17:20:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That sounds perfect. I am hoping that weekend will be simply
by MPG  (2019-08-18 15:06:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

confirming their decision, rather than desperately trying to sway them one month before the signing period. Alli's presence should help.