Michaela Mabrey
by Irished13 (2019-08-24 10:40:46)

Shin hoops 86 is reporting Michaela Mabrey will j
join the basketball staff.

Michaela is coming home!
by NDLOVE42  (2019-08-24 17:41:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just had a conversation with a former player who confirmed that she has been hired.It came down to Charel Allen and Michaela.

When MM retires there could be a great group to draw
by Tim Kelley  (2019-08-24 22:15:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on out there.

Duffy or Niele?
by Joeyt28  (2019-08-25 01:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tough choice

Duffy's on the better path
by tedstheman  (2019-08-25 12:09:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Imo. I love Niele but I don't see being an asst. coach in the NBA as boosting her resume for the ND head coach position. Of course I don't consider the NBA to be basketball anymore either, can't stand it. Taking a head coaching position in WCBB would have prepared her better to return in that capacity. But I guess going to the NBA is the "cool" thing to do.

Your opinion differs from Muffet’s
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-25 13:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"In a Notre Dame news release announcing Ivey's departure, McGraw said, "This is going to be a great learning experience for Niele and hopefully one day she can take all that she’s learned and bring it back to our program."

McGraw said in an interview with Sports 56 WHBQ that NBA coaching experience would put Ivey "in even better position" to land the head coaching job at Notre Dame when McGraw, 63, retires.

"You're going to pick up so many things," McGraw said. "I think it's really preparing her for the future.""

That may be McGraw's opinion
by tedstheman  (2019-08-25 14:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or she may be supporting Niele's decision. I would like to hear the argument that an asst. coaching position in the NBA prepares her better than a head coaching job in WCBB somewhere. Like I said, I love Niele and was hoping she would be the next coach, I'm just not sure this move makes her more qualified for it. As I said, I'm not a fan of the NBA so my opinion is influenced by that as well.

Not an NBA fan either or saying you are wrong
by NDoggie78  (2019-08-25 20:11:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just pointing out Muffet seemed to make it clear that she thought this was great experience for Niele and would help if she were to return to ND when MM retired. I doubt Niele would be returning as an assistant. And I know Muffet won’t be the person hiring, but I’m sure her opinion will count. Sure sounded like she was saying Niele was the heir apparent.

The possible advantages I see are....
by Tim Kelley  (2019-08-26 00:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. She gets to work with the very top talent...her players against other top talent. Learning to deal with that could make her a better college coach.

2. Similar, but different from CFB, being a college head coach who as coached in the WNBA could be attractive to recruits who (probably most of them) want to be developed to enhance heir path to the WNBA.

Agree somewhat about the WNBA
by tedstheman  (2019-08-26 09:51:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the NBA is a different story. As for coaching NBA players.. I don't see coaching a bunch of over-hyped millionaires preparing one to coach WCBB.

Came Down To Two ND Alums....
by dillon77  (2019-08-24 18:09:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Charel Allen must be doing good things out at Fullerton State.
Congrats to Mike! Great to have a Mabrey back on campus!

Great stuff
by LarryE  (2019-08-24 14:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was one of my favourite players. Love her attitude. I hope this is true.

Makes Sense
by hempfield75  (2019-08-24 13:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MM and Mabrey were very close. MM wants to make sure she gets trained the
right way in coaching...CONGRATULATIONS Mabrey and welcome home...

This also makes sense from a recruiting standpoint.

My only question is. At what point did she decide on Mabrey. Before or
after interviewing all candidates. Huh, makes you wonder.

P.S. Great and love the choice.

SEG/Chief

Given the Posting, Adding This "MM" Makes A Lot of Sense
by dillon77  (2019-08-24 15:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The job posting on the U of ND site -- which may have been generic -- was for an assistant coach, not for a director of recruiting or for an associate head coach.

To me -- rightly or wrongly -- MM was not considering someone like Coquese Washington, who is currently an associate head coach at Oklahoma.

Before that post, I'd thought Washington, Ashley Barlow and Michaela were the the three former ND players now in WCBB coaching that made sense. There are other good former ND players who are now coaches, but those three are the ones who coach guards that seemed right for this posting.

I thought Barlow might get the call because she had a few more years on the sideline and has been in charge of recruiting for Wright State for a few seasons. However, as most of you know, I've been a huge fan of the Mabreys for years, so no complaints.

Here's what I wrote a few weeks back following Niele's leaving:

"Michaela Mabrey, Director of Recruiting at LSU.
Strengths: Worked exceedingly well with MM and staff while a player at ND. Known as a coach both on practice floor and during games. Has worked at Miami U., University of Miami and now LSU
- Is from New Jersey, a girls basketball-rich area and is probably very well connected to the Shore scene, the hotbed of NJ women's hoops.
- Young, well-spoken and able to relate to younger players.
- ??? Why did she leave Megan Duffy's staff after just one year? Was she being poached by LSU? Or was it something else? This is something MM probably already knows..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, that question was answered in an acceptable manner.

Good luck to another MM. If she has any input on ND recruiting, fully expect to see some NJ prospects listed in 2021 and 2022 and see that familiar hair bob in gyms up and down the Garden State Parkway this winter!

p.s.
Chances are that ND fans will see a lot more of Hannah Huffman -- Mike's former roomie, teammate and current accountant in Chicago -- visiting South Bend.

IN Players in 2022
by hempfield75  (2019-08-24 16:06:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would also add Indiana Players for 2022. 2 really good ones will be
making decisions Patterson and Reynolds. Reynolds I believe is a big guard.
MM could have a major influence on those players since she played not
along ago. Reynolds is from South Bend, so she has seen her in person
play.

...I also think MM will have a great influence on Azzi since DC and NJ are
just a spit away. Because MM is so young. She will be able to relate well
with Azzi. I am sure Mr Fudd and Azzi are very familiar with her playing
career at ND.

...You are correct. She will for sure be a tough recruiter in the NJ area.
However, I also think she will be very strong in the Midwest, especially
IL, OH, and IN.

...Final comment. Could she be the piece that has Maddy committing? You
know Maddy knows MM.

SEG/Chief

Velly velly interesting. I hear them Mabrey's are good at BB *
by Jon  (2019-08-24 13:34:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Question. Who or what is Shin hoops 86? Reliable? *
by sixtythreer  (2019-08-24 12:23:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very reliable.Even his proclaimed hunches are often
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-08-24 12:24:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

proven correct.

Always Enjoy His Crystal Ball Predictions...
by dillon77  (2019-08-24 16:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on where prospects will end up. Even when he's off, they're logical and he's not afraid to poke fun of himself.

He also isn't afraid to challenge the norm and make one think a bit.

NDWBB Staff? *
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-24 12:03:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My guess would be assistant coach
by FreeIrish  (2019-08-24 12:18:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

unless she would move for the same job she has at LSU.