Comments on What I Missed While on Vacation
by MPG (2019-09-03 14:37:54)
Edited on 2019-09-03 14:40:56

1. The hiring of Michaela Mabrey was a minor surprise because she had held three different jobs in three years. The breadth of her experience must have outweighed the lack of depth. In any event she was a smart player who knows ND, the coaches, and the program. She has the potential to be a good recruiter. I was interested to learn that Charel Allen is at Fullerton and was a finalist.

2. Dillon's updated recruiting list is a good snapshot of where ND stands before the fall cycle of home visits and official visits to campus begins.It is the best compilation of recruiting information available to us. The longer the Caitlin Clark recruitment continues, the more I worry about her staying close to home at one of the local universities. I wish that I saw a few more low post prospects on the board for 2021. By the way, the 6'3" captain of the Irish U-20 national team will be attending St.Joe in Philly this year.

3. The information on the 2021 prospects Saniya Rivers and Sonia Citron caught my eye. Rivers is especially intriguing because she reportedly is "uber-athletic", which is the same quality that made Arike, Jackie Young, and Jewell Loyd so successful at ND. However, ND has not had much success recruiting in the South, so she is a long-shot for ND. Sonia Citron strikes me as the most likely 2021 recruit to make an early commitment to ND.

4. The season opener at Fordham struck me as the "homecoming game" for Patterson and Nixon. I am sure that the Cosgroves will follow the long and winding road from Suffolk County to the Bronx, but I hope that Danielle gets her "homecoming game" at Stony Brook, Hofstra, or even St.John's. It was mentioned that this game will be one that Nat Marshall can attend. Sonia Citron is the closest prospect to the Fordham game because she lives in nearby New Rochelle!

5. I hope that Baba returns to the Bench in time for the season. He'll be glad to know that I had some great Middle Eastern food while waiting for a plane at SFO.

Welcome Back! Some Follow-Ons....
by dillon77  (2019-09-04 17:07:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Mabrey hiring. Something that I think Michaela will hopefully address are issues surrounding recruiting/retention. She's a lot closer in age to the prospects and may be able to address/perceive some issues before they arise; whether it's during the recruiting process or while on campus as a student athlete.

2. Thx for comments on the update. At this point, we'll just wait for Sept. 9th and coaches to hit the road again, either for home visits or HS/tourney visits.

I can see your point about Clark, but having her take an OV during the USC weekend with Maddy Westbeld and -- importantly, I think -- verbal commit Alli Campbell is a strong, positive move. At this point, we've almost gotta believe so: cross fingers and think good thoughts.

3. I think the 2021 recruiting season switches gears once Clark/Westbeld/Kelly, etc., make up their minds. Still, Citron and Rivers are very top-notch prospects. Citron seems like a natural for ND's Princeton-style offensive sets; while ND has always been flexible to accomodate natural talents like Rivers (see Loyd, Ogunbowale, Young, as you say). With Rivers, that's a list of 12, so not getting any hopes up on that possibility until it's further pared down.

4. You're right: the person closest to Fordham right now is Citron. After that, it would've been Nixon, whose home is in Harlem. Patterson is more of a Brooklyn resident, like Nat Marshall (and my eldest daughter!).

BTW, Danielle Cosgrove's dad played hoops at Hofstra, so that would be good location. Playing Stony Brook is closest and may prove a lure to me, given that I grew up a 10-minute walk from their gym.

5. Agree on Baba. It would be mutually beneficial for ND Nation and Baba to be on the same cyber page again. His unique perspectives, play on words and post of a different sort would have a great platform.

Yes, the decisions of the four remaining 2020 prospects will
by MPG  (2019-09-05 10:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

put the 2021 group into sharper focus. The 2020 group could grow to four or five, which would make 2021 recruiting a highly selective operation with perhaps one guard and one forward.

Speaking of 2021, when you do your next Recruiting Report update, you should mention Olivia Miles' unofficial visit to ND on her way to a July tourney in Indianapolis.

Thanks...Miles, Citron Entries Are Updated
by dillon77  (2019-09-05 15:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If things go even halfway as planned for the rest of 2020, I agree that 2021 will be pretty selective. And those searches will seemingly be focused on forward/post types.

#5 - If Baba doesn't return by season I'm hunger striking. *
by Jon  (2019-09-03 16:13:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hunger Strike! The Blanketmen! *
by Homeboy73  (2019-09-05 19:17:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post