Arike wins second Rookie of the Month award.
by Fighting_Artichoke (2019-09-04 14:34:53)

I didn't think she should have won the first ROM award this season, but she certainly earned this one. It will be interesting to see the Rookie of the Year vote. Napheesa Collier has had an amazing rookie season as well, as she keeps improving as the season progresses, just like Arike.

The last day of the regular season is Sunday, so we'll see where their resumes stack up then. Collier has 2 games remaining and Arike 3, including tonight's game @Connecticut. Arike is presently third in the WNBA in scoring, only trailing All_Stars and Olympians Britney Griner and Elena Delle Donne. That's really nice company!

Her scoring stats justify ROY plus getting 2/3 ROM awards
by Domerduck  (2019-09-05 13:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Collier getting July. When Arike won in June, she averaged 13.3 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.9 assists through the nine games. For August, she averaged 24.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, and 4.0 apg in 11 games. She nearly doubled her points per game while more than doubling her assists per game. In addition her efficiency went way up shooting 44.1% including 43.6% for threes. Her improvement has been phenomenal.

Objectively Collier may be a better all around player and is on a better team, but Arike's scoring is historical as the season is winding down. With her 32 points last night at 575 points total she is now #8 as all time rooking scoring, and all 7 players ahead of her won Rookie of the Year. Here's the list from 1-8 as she is in incredible company:

#1 Simone Augustus (2006) - 745 (34 games)
#2 Aja Wilson (2018) - 682 (33 games)
#3 Cynthia Cooper (1997) - 621 (in only 28 games)
#4 Breanna Stewart (2016) - 621 (34 games)
#5 Candace Parker (2008) -610 (33 games)
#6 Tamika Catchings (2002) - 595 (32 games)
#7 Diana Taurasi (2004) - 579 (34 games)
#8 Arike Ogunbowale (2019) - 575 (32 games, with 2 left)

Arike just needs 47 points in her two games to end up #3 all time which given her last 12 game average (27+ ppg per DBSMITH) she is on track to achieve that. She has a run of three straight 30+ point games, the only rookie to ever do that and 2nd all time (see article attached). Given this historical achievement I can't see how she doesn't get it.

One thing for sure whether Collier or Arike get it, it won't be the #1 draft pick who has received the award 9 of 11 the last 11 years. Starting in 2008 with #1 pick Candace Parker, only Greiner (2013 who lost to #2 pick Elena Delle Donne) and Plum (2017 who lost to #4 pick Allisha Gray) were not ROYs as the #1 pick. In fact, it has been since 2005 when #6 draft pick Temeka Johnson won, that the WNBA ROY was not won by one of the top 4 draft picks. This year it will #5 Arike or #6 Collier, no doubt. Still if Arike ends up #3 all time I don't see how she doesn't get it.

but high level scoring is a big deal.

This is a really good bit of info, and a
by Homeboy73  (2019-09-05 19:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great post. I loved AO, and we will miss her. An amazing athlete. Arike O’Gunbawalley. ☘️🏀Thank you for posting this.

put up another 32 last night - over last 12 games has
by DBCSMITH  (2019-09-05 08:50:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

averaged over 27 ppg, probably tops in the league over that time.

Sports Illustrated article that comments on the ROY race
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-09-04 14:48:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I picked Napheesa Collier at the beginning of the season and she gave me plenty of reason to feel confident in my pick, with consistent all-around play and a place on the All-Star team after A’ja Wilson’s injury. Then Arike Ogunbowale turned into a freaking supernova."

And it goes on from there. Worth a look!

I'm guessing they'll give it to Collier for 1 reason ....
by NDoggie78  (2019-09-04 15:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

her team likely to make playoffs, Arike's team will not.

Arike with 32 tonight on 10 of 21 shooting
by Dave Winkler  (2019-09-04 23:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think she has to win it. She's exerting her will against constant double teams given the Wings don't have much after her.

Who votes? *
by traditionnevergraduates  (2019-09-04 19:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the Past, Journalists & Broadcasters....
by dillon77  (2019-09-05 06:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...according to this blurb from Wikipedia:

"The award recipient is decided by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States. Panel members were asked to select their top five choices for the award, with 10 points being awarded for a first place vote, seven for second, five for third, three for fourth and one for fifth." (Link to whole article, list of past winners below.)

That weighted system could make matters even closer because I think Teira McCowan might get some votes from Indiana-related voters.

That would make it a team award. *
by Tim Kelley  (2019-09-04 18:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree - just posting the argument the detractors are using
by NDoggie78  (2019-09-05 09:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you read the comments section of Muffet's tweet in RISteve's post below

Example:
"Greatest impact means you're leading your team to the playoffs your were named an Allstar and you've become only the FIFTH player in @WNBA history with 400 points 200 rebounds 80 assists and 60 blocks and not shooting 20 times a game with a mediocre team."

I'm obviously in disagreement with this thought process - it's not MVP, it's Rookie of the Year. It should be Arike.

I'm not so certain Collier has it wrapped up. Arike just
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-09-04 15:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tied the record for the most points EVER by a rookie in a single month (tied Elena Delle Donne with 275 pts). She is REALLY finishing the season strong!

But more generally, great rookies usually get drafted by terrible teams because of the way the draft is set up. Dallas was without Diggins and lost Cambage on a team that finished with the 5th worst record last season. The Lynx lost Maya Moore, but still had Sylvia Fowles and Odyssey Sims, who were both All Stars this season. Arike has had little help this season, and so defenses could focus on her.

Agree. Both Arike and Collier Have Played Awfully Well...
by dillon77  (2019-09-04 16:44:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..but under very different circumstances. Collier has a better shooting percentage and has stuffed stats in numerous categories. She also has Sylvia Fowles, Odyssey Sims and Danielle Robinson on her team.
Her team has reached the playoffs, but even with the absences it's had (Moore, Shepard), they should've made it.

Arike is playing the ultimate combo guard, being asked to contribute heavily to scoring and distributing. And she's delivered, like a supernova in the 2nd half of the season: pretty sure she's tied for 3rd in league scoring right now.

Interestingly enough, if both the Minnesota Lynx (Collier) and Dallas Wings (Arike) have their absent stars back next year, their stats may come down next year.

And the other rookie to pay attention to is Teira McCowan of the Indy Pacers. Since she's been ensconsed for more than 25 minutes per game, she's starting to amass massive scoring and rebounding numbers. And her game is still raw arond the edges: she'll probably only get better.

Mystics v Dallas
by NOBBYDOMER  (2019-09-06 20:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. Dallas minus Diggins and Mojeff leaves AO as lead guard and #1 scoring options....and facing double/triple teams. And, their coaching has to suck. The Mystics are a great team to watch....their offense and unselfishness is much to be admired.

Mystics Have To Be Considered Favorites to Win Title...
by dillon77  (2019-09-07 10:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...this year if they don't get the kind of injury (EDD) that befell them in last year's playoffs. Elena Della Donne and Emma Meesseman are a 1-2 punch that is lethal and then you throw in Ariel Atkins, Aerial Powers, LaToya Sanders (doing dirty work in the paint) and the steady hand of Natasha Cloud at the point. Heck, Myisha Hines-Allen has trouble getting minutes on this team and she would be a regular just about anywhere else.
If Kristi Toliver comes back from her injury to add more three-point shooting, lights out.

Maybe, Connecticut or LA -- which has been hot, particularly at home -- can give a run if they stay red-hot for a few games. But I don't see it. As you say, Washington is also exceedingly well coached.