South Bend's Keegan Sullivan Commits to Rockhurst University
by dillon77 (2019-09-13 17:41:42)
Edited on 2019-09-14 10:28:39

...in Kansas City. It's a smallish (2,000+) Jesuit University that competes at the DII level. News courtesy of Raoul.

From a basketball perspective, this initially is a bit surprising because Keegan was ranked 25th by Prospects Nation, right behind Maddy Westbeld and two spots in front of Alli Campbell. Hmmm. At one point, DePaul was interested and that's also a religious-based school set in an urban area. They just play D1 (as we all know...)

Who knows? Maybe Keegan's priorities go beyond hoops at this juncture: perhpas she saw something in herself and anticipates not playing hoops after college, so she focused on a school that she thinks will give a her a great undergrad experience and prepare for the long beyond. And she can still play at the DII level.

Still, interesting choice given her hoops proficiency and dedication to the scholastic and AAU process up to this point. Best of luck to her.

Here is some background
by nd67  (2019-09-13 23:37:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Her sister,Daly, transferred there from
Mt.StMary’s
2. Another teammate and friend from
SkyDiggs,AAU team, is also there.
3. Family is very Catholic and academic
minded.
4. Keegan just didn’t want the D1
lifestyle and pressure.

Thank you for those helpful insights into Keegan's decision.
by MPG  (2019-09-14 10:15:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It all makes sense to me. Rockhurst will have quite the backcourt in 2020!

Wise young lady. *
by 2DOMER  (2019-09-14 09:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for Background
by dillon77  (2019-09-14 08:56:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes sense now that you specify those factors.

A few hours after posting this, I was wondering what happened to Daly, who had gone to a D1 college.

The academics and religious factors...check, given her HS background.

But #4 was the question mark: after all, she had put the years on the hamster wheel, so to speak. Maybe, the next step into the a very intense stage was something she didn't want to do. If that's the case, all power to her for "looking for the next best thing," as Warren Zevon once wrote and sang.

My gd who played with the
by nd67  (2019-09-14 13:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sullivans one yr with SkyDiggs and
now plays D1, completely understands
where they are coming from. She hung
out with them and some good discussions
about playing college bb especially if you
are serious about academics. Some
people don’t appreciate how difficult it
is but they do get a free education.

#4 maybe more being able to play vs the pressure of getting
by Domerduck  (2019-09-14 11:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

playing time. Given what my daughter went through staying at a D1 school and lettering all 4 years, I wish she had done D2 (which still gives scholarships and she had two offers) or even D3 (which she was recruited heavily and eventually she wanted to transfer to because of lack of PT at her D1 school). Ultimately I didn't support a xfr because the D3 coach (who would have played her lots & knew her well) wanted an extra year which meant 5 years of a private university and it was just too expensive for me, who was footing the bill. She graduated in 4 yrs but switched sports her junior year to captain her D1 xcountry team senior year and get more scholarship money than she ever had for soccer. Of course her D1 experience was affected by the fact the D1 soccer coach who recruited (Paul Ratcliffe) left for Stanford on signing day so she had to deal with a new coach who liked different type of players.

Keegan may be making a very good decision for her family and herself. She'll certainly play lots and get to play with her sister and avoid the drama of D1 school PT. It certainly will still be competitive and she can have fun. If she does real well there is always the grad xfr program where she can play 1 year at a competitive D1 program with a pretty reliable starting option (ala Sniezak or Thompson to ND). Given the increase in transfers because of PT issues it certainly may be a more prudent approach.

The Sullivan sisters were teammates of the Quinn sisters on
by MPG  (2019-09-14 10:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the St. Joseph's championship team. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Quinns emerge from the ND tryouts as walk-ons.

Thx. Are Those Tryouts Scheduled? If So, Any Idea When? *
by dillon77  (2019-09-14 10:26:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume sometime in September. The notice I saw earlier
by MPG  (2019-09-14 14:13:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this month simply said to contact Angie Potthoff. Practice starts in early October, so we should know by then.