#4 maybe more being able to play vs the pressure of getting
by Domerduck (2019-09-14 11:16:19)

In reply to: Thanks for Background  posted by dillon77

playing time. Given what my daughter went through staying at a D1 school and lettering all 4 years, I wish she had done D2 (which still gives scholarships and she had two offers) or even D3 (which she was recruited heavily and eventually she wanted to transfer to because of lack of PT at her D1 school). Ultimately I didn't support a xfr because the D3 coach (who would have played her lots & knew her well) wanted an extra year which meant 5 years of a private university and it was just too expensive for me, who was footing the bill. She graduated in 4 yrs but switched sports her junior year to captain her D1 xcountry team senior year and get more scholarship money than she ever had for soccer. Of course her D1 experience was affected by the fact the D1 soccer coach who recruited (Paul Ratcliffe) left for Stanford on signing day so she had to deal with a new coach who liked different type of players.

Keegan may be making a very good decision for her family and herself. She'll certainly play lots and get to play with her sister and avoid the drama of D1 school PT. It certainly will still be competitive and she can have fun. If she does real well there is always the grad xfr program where she can play 1 year at a competitive D1 program with a pretty reliable starting option (ala Sniezak or Thompson to ND). Given the increase in transfers because of PT issues it certainly may be a more prudent approach.