Napheesa Collier wins WNBA ROY award
by RISteve (2019-09-16 04:37:13)
Edited on 2019-09-16 04:38:46

I am not sure what else Arike could have done to win the award. Two very good choices, but I thought Arike deserved the award. The voting was not really close.

Link, below

AO, Jackie and Brianna made the All-Rookie Team
by TWO  (2019-09-17 09:48:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2019 WNBA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Player Team Position Votes
Napheesa Collier Minnesota Lynx Forward 11
Teaira McCowan Indiana Fever Center 11
Arike Ogunbowale Dallas Wings Guard 11
Jackie Young Las Vegas Aces Guard 11
Brianna Turner Phoenix Mercury Forward 7

Arike's shooting percentage was low, high 30s IIRC. *
by PWK2  (2019-09-16 13:44:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So was Chelsea Gray’s
by Section11  (2019-09-16 13:58:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But she’s considered to be a top player. Plus how do you win.2 out of 3 Rookie of the Month awards and not win it?

Minnesota campaigned for her to win the award
by tedstheman  (2019-09-17 08:34:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kinda like a Heisman campaign. Not sure if Dallas did the same for Arike.

This is a very good question
by abqirish  (2019-09-16 18:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What else could Arike have done? I watched a lot of WNBA this season. Arike was by far the most exciting player in the league. She tied or broke several records. She was even playing out of position. She deserved and earned this award. I don’t get it.

I think it came down to Collier's team in the playoffs
by NDoggie78  (2019-09-17 09:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arike's team is not. I think the voters used this as a tiebreaker.

Which of course, would make the award more about MVP and not best rookie (Arike).

ND Women's Basketball should be using 3 out of 5 on the WNBA rookie team to it's fullest - paint that on the south dome of the JACC - every recruit should have that on the tip of their tongue like "40 year decision"

ND Has Posted The 3 All-Rookies News on Twitter...
by dillon77  (2019-09-17 12:09:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and other e-based media, which for current and future recruits is the equivalent of you and I looking at the Joyce Center or other such domes!

I've received e-mails about it and my 23-year-old alum daughter knew about it (and she's not really a hoops freak) via e-media.

But, Yes, I'd recommend Irish staffers keep plastering it (I personally think they're getting much better and creative at it.)

Agree with your marketing points and the one on Arike about Minnesota being in the playoffs. Another point I see brought up that I can live with is that Napheesa Collier was consistent from the get-go for Minnesota, while Arike took awhile to find her stride. Granted, she and Elena Della Donne might've been the best players in the league after the all-star break, but the Minnesota PR campaign was solidly in play by that point (along with the support of other Minny-related b-ball folks (remember, Cheryl Reeve was Geno A's assistant on the U.S. National team for years).

Still, Arike is going to be a presence at the WNBA and international team level for many a year...not too concerned.

It's a consolation prize for Arike & company beating them 2
by Dallasdomer  (2019-09-16 23:05:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Years in a row in the final four. Plus she's from Uconn so she must be adored.

Sorry sour grapes.