This Article Struck Me as Way-Too-Early, and Click-Baity
by dillon77 (2019-09-19 08:43:41)
Edited on 2019-09-19 09:07:39

In reply to: You like those Jersey girls, but someone should tell ESPN. *  posted by Domerduck

...that was written over the summer and stored with this in mind. And not updated by the editors (I'd have to think Voepel would've done that...)

- Main thinking for this:Tynice Martin of West Virginia was suspended indefinitely by West Virginia in mid-summer and charged for domestic battery in August. Given that -- and the fact that she might not play this year -- I'd think a first-round draft choice is pretty sketchy now this far out.

- IMHO, ESPN and it's core of writers -- led by Mechelle Voepel and Charlie Creme -- do concentrate on the schools that are in the P5 universe. I get that for the NCAA's, but for the draft? Talent comes from a lot of places. And sometimes it takes awhile for even those at D1 programs to develop (see Erica Wheeler, Dearca (sp) Hamby). The Ivy League is not a usual source of WNBA talent....
- Respect and like Alarie's game, but not sure Bella qualifies as a "Jersey Girl." She plays in Jersey but is from Bethesda, Maryland and goes to school at Princeton,which is a nation unto itself. We are not talking Mabreyesque Jersey Shore here, let alone the Essex to Passaic counties corridor where a lot of "do you like my elbows?" Jersey hoops is played. Marina and Myisha Hines-Allen are Jersey girls. Bella, as much as I like her, is not.
- This is more like us Benchers rooting for or liking the non-Hooser girls that play for ND or you wathing the recruits Kelly Graves and Scott Rueck brings into the Oregon schools. I like the kid's game.
- What I'm most basing my opinion of with Alarie is her constant calling up to the U.S. National teams. (attached).
- BTW, I like all Oregon players mentioned: Ionescu will be the new "It" girls of the wNBA and Queen of Brooklyn and the Barclay Center as the Liberty move there from Westchester. Hell, I'll cross two rivers from Jersey to see her (and then have dinner with my Prospect Park-based eldest daughter)! And I think Hebard will do well, too, as well as she's got a PG with adept passing skills. I could see her helping Atlanta and rejoining Maite Carzola.

Lastly, I have a hard time believing anyone will draft UConn's Crystal Dangerfield that early in the first round. She's only 5'5" tall. Talented, yes, but she was not a primary worry of the Irish when they played. I'd like to see how she does now that Collier and KLS are gone. Will she step up in scoring or will she distribute to Megatron and Williams?