Deja Kelly tidbit
by Orangutan (2019-10-01 11:20:10)

She posted this tweet last night (i.e. after the news of Hayes commitment broke) saying "3 to go".

I take this to mean that she still intends to visit ND and that it may not be a "Hayes OR Kelly" situation like I had previously theorized.

At this point
by irishdds  (2019-10-01 13:57:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.........I almost hope we don’t get Kelly. 5 seems like the right number of recruits and I think most everyone wants Clark and Westbeld.. Even if we don’t get Clark, Kelly seems awfully similar to Hayes. Am I wrong?

Could the recent wave of transfers and ND’s experience
by Tim Kelley  (2019-10-01 16:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mitigate taking 6 ?

How Many Do We Sign for 2020
by hempfield75  (2019-10-02 01:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we need to be pretty careful because the next 2 classes are loaded
with talent we would be going after. You have Fudd, Olivia, Wiggins the
Canadian Post, Adams, the Indiana players and so on.

...As much as I would like to see us take the right 6. I would be concerned
in not having room for someone in the next 2 classes that has mutual
interest in ND.

SEG/Chief

Well Put, Hemp. Don't Forget Sonia Citron...
by dillon77  (2019-10-02 09:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..whom we've offered already. And Michaela is apparently following Payton Verhulst, Citron and Mile's backcourt partner on the National Team.

Most of the regulars on the Bench know MM likes to have 12 or so on her roster. Regardless of the transfers, I don't think she's going to deviate from that number all that much. Rather address that via recruiting (getting the right people) and retention (staying in touch a lot). Hopefully, Michaeala will help on both fronts, given her relative youth.
Playing time and other factors (MM's coaching style, fit with ND) will still come up but will still come up, but I think she's not going to build a cushion of more players into it to alleviate it....same issues will rise with any top players.

As a guy who follows her recruiting, I think she still goes after the right 5 and then hits hard in 2021.

As a fan, I can't see doubling up on smaller guards (Hayes and Kelly) when she's expressed preference for taller guards in most instances. It's good to have speed to trace players like Carter or Dangerfield, but not across the board, in my opinion. If you're going to do that, why not look at Van Lith? She's around the same height as Hayes and Kelly?

In any case, I think the crux of the matter is still Clark. I believe hings will fall out after her visit. Would love to have Maddy, too, but there are options if she does not come (Brunelle, Campbell, a 2021 prospect).

Nothing Better to do Than follow NDWBB Recruiting
by hempfield75  (2019-10-02 12:01:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dang old age did it again. I forgot about Citron and Van Lith. There has to
be something going on that we have actively gone after other sub 6 ft guards
but not Van Lith. Is there not that mutual interest between her and ND, I
wonder.

...Agree about Clark being the key. Good thing is signing period is next
month. So it should not be long after her visit we know where she is
heading. My old thought pattern in my older brain tells me if she really
wanted to stay closer to home. She would have at least silent committed
to one of the Iowa schools by now. I really think Michaela is key in
closing along with MM. As mentioned, her youth, her thought pattern,
interest, energy will be mutually understanding. Another key about
Michaela she is a recent grad from ND. The recruits will still have
her playing career fresh in their minds. Plus their questions could start
out like "When you played at ND". That will get their interest and
attention pretty quickly. Plus the trust in the info Michaela provides
will be quicker to believe and not a game to get them to commit. One more
strong point about the importance of Michaela. They will immediately see
the true love she has for ND and present her info accurately.

...Thats All Folks.

SEG/Chief

Seems a lot of teams recruiting the full 15
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-02 10:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And expecting/planning for transfers (the UofL model). Might Muffet be increasing her recruiting number just to get to her roster number? In other words recruit/sign 13-14 to have 12 on the roster?

Just think of this past year - we expected Jackie to be back and we didn't expect Jordan & Danielle to transfer - 3 somewhat unexpected losses. Unfortunately that seems to be becoming the norm.

2021: 5 current players + 2020 recruits + Mikayla (possible)
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-02 09:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mikayla could be back for medical redshirt.

Hemp has a good point. If we sign 6 this year, we could have as many as 12 on the roster already for 2021 leaving not much room at the inn for new 2021 recruits based on Muffet's optimum roster size.

Granted, based on past years, there will probably be a transfer or two, an injury or two, and we don't know Mikayla's status - hopefully she plays well enough that the WNBA wants her (but she comes back anyway like Brianna).

But the numbers for 2021, make signing too big a class for 2020 a concern. For this reason, I think 5 might have to be the biggest number.

Good point. *
by Tim Kelley  (2019-10-02 04:51:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. Transfers are a big issue with all programs *
by RISteve  (2019-10-01 18:33:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting. I don't think MM would take 6 this year.
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-10-01 11:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, who might be out? We would only have 2 spots. Clark, Westbeld and Kelly (or Kapinus)? As Dillon77 says: "Stay tuned"

I hope no matter what that Westbeld comes to ND.
by TWO  (2019-10-01 16:59:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd love to have Clark for sure as well.

Clark and Westbeld would be the ideal finish for me.

The Next Few Weeks Will Be Interesting....
by dillon77  (2019-10-01 12:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...particularly if Coach McGraw (can't use MM all the time now that we've got Michaela Mabrey, too!) sticks to the projection of taking 5 commitments in 2020.

- As Orangutan pointed out, Deja Kelly has visited Minnesota and UNC, and seems to indicate she's visiting Texas A&M, Duke and ND (the three to go).
So, Deja thinks she's in the mix.

- And Caitlin Clark and Maddy Westbeld (knock on wood) are set for their OV's, so you've to figure their offers are outstanding.

- As for Ms. Kapinus, there was a visit there: who is to know if that resulted in an offer or was more of fact-finding tour to determine some sort of interest.

So, is Muffet working against 5 or 6? Or are their some conditions on any of these offers? Who knows?

I've got to think that Clark is a (the?) major target given her pedigree, which is why I think Campbell is taking her OV at the same time. And Westbeld's star has risen very high over the course of the spring/summer AAU season.

Stay tuned...Go Irish!

Kinda Reminds Me of the Old Jerry Tark Days at UNLV
by hempfield75  (2019-10-01 16:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Long Beach where he recruited and relied on quickness, speed and
shooting. Did not have the tallest of teams but were extremely athletic.
Recruiting the last 2 years seems similar to the Tark. If she continues to
go after Kelly and Kapinus. Plus we land Clark and Maddy. Are we looking
at a 4 guard set. Plus seems if we get everyone we are after. We are
looking at a 10 player rotation. This is not taking into the class of 2021
which includes Fudd, Miles and Wiggins. We could end up with the quickest
and fastest teams we ever had at NDWBB. This is very exciting. Next up
Clark and Maddy.

...Who needs post players when we will have the best, quickest, fastest
guards on the planet. It is a dream that could come true.

Clark Fudd
Gilbert Peoples
Kelly Hayes
Campbell Westbeld
Nat The Canadian (Lattimere) I am guessing the poor girls name

In the bullpen as closers

Olivia Miles Ms Kspinus

This team will not be beaten up and down the court. What a Dream What a
Dream.

How about 5 Arikes on the court at the same time. Wouldn't that be cool?

I love recruiting.

SEG/Chief