Deja Kelly visiting ND this weekend.
by RISteve (2019-10-02 11:51:07)

Per ND Hoops Recruits. Also, he/she does not have a good feeling on Caitlin Clark, per another tweet.

Link, below

Spin it however you want
by irishdds  (2019-10-02 20:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But this is looking like a class without star power. Now we we all know Coach McGraw can coach people like nobody else. And she will have to. I hope our 2021 class is better and it does look promising . But next two years ?????

Olivia Miles
by Joeyt28  (2019-10-02 23:07:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FWIW that hoop skins crystal ball person posted today a prediction of Olivia Miles to ND

Isn't that Lavar Ball? *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-10-03 20:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He says "Just a guess" "No scoop" *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-10-03 12:11:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His guesses are often right (not always, but often) *
by Orangutan  (2019-10-04 00:58:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great news!!!
by irishdds  (2019-10-03 08:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

........if true. Although the worry wart makes me wonder that would mean in terms of our pursuit of Fudd

Different Kind of Players. Should Complement Each Other
by dillon77  (2019-10-03 09:39:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Miles is a point guard, through and through.

While Fudd has a good handle, she is more of an off-guard. Some think she can play wing, too, but in the ND system she'd be on of the "other" guards.

If there's any possible overlap on the 2021 front, it might be with Sonia Citron, the 6' guard who ND offered in early September. Citron is pretty malleable in terms of approach, given the way she played with both Miles and Payton Verhulst, who is a scorer first and foremost (like Fudd).

Olivia Miles would be a great addition to ND as a playmaker
by MPG  (2019-10-03 10:36:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and all around floor leader. She would also be an attraction for other players in the 2021 class. As you noted, Citron and Verhulst played well with Olivia. I believe that Azzi Fudd is a long-shot for ND, but perhaps playing with Miles would have some appeal.

Miles, Citron or Verhulst, and Lattimore or DeBerry would be an outstanding 2021 class for ND regardless of the final outcome for the 2020 class.

Why Is Fudd Considered A Long Shot For ND? I Always
by savr27  (2019-10-03 11:03:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thought that we were favored to land her.

During an era of "irrational exuberance" I thought that ND
by MPG  (2019-10-03 13:57:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had a good chance of landing her, partially because of her support of Sam Brunelle. I now believe that her strongest personal tie is with Bueckers. As BTFND mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it wasn't so long ago that the question of "Could ND take both Bueckers and Clark?" was taken seriously.

We need to realize that consensus top ten prospects are hard to sign. If ND can sign one per recruiting class that will create the core of a championship team. Right now, there is one on the roster: Sam Brunelle.

I regard Peoples a Top 10 recruit in reality..... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-10-03 16:14:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do too. She is very, very good. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-10-03 20:55:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We also thought we would land Buechers, Clark, Watson, Cox
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-03 11:53:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just to name a few. I think all fan bases get irrationally optimistic. And we may have led at one time with all these and others - teenage girls change their minds.

I don't think Azzi Fudd is a longshot nor is she a sure thing. A lot of time remains.

Fudd
by hempfield75  (2019-10-03 15:27:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The one thing we all need to realize that her father will and is actively
involved in her recruiting. I doubt seriously she ends up at a place just
to be with Sam or with Beuchers. He is looking for more than just a
basketball school. He is looking for what is best place for his daughter
on and off court. Remember he was very vocal and concern about early
transfers that has been happening. Believe he had a pow wow with MM bout it.
If early transfers is a major concern of his and a deciding factor. UCONN
is in more trouble than we are. I wonder what school has shown her the most
love while recovering from her serious knee injuries. Next month we will
start hot and heavy into the 2021 class. Until than, I see no true leader
or favored. Again, Just my educated opinion.

P.S. I really believe Olivia could be a factor into Fudds recruitment.

SEG/Chief

Could TurnThe Funnel Around On The Guard Situation...
by dillon77  (2019-10-02 13:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...for months, many of us have operated that everything funnels down into a stream that leads to Caitlin Clark. We might have to reverse that. Why?
A source says that Clark may not make her planned official visit.

If that visit does not happen, all of these Hayes-Kelly-Kapinus activities would make a lot more sense (at least to me): if Clark has/is/possibly is staying in the state of Iowa, there should be options B or C in place that can be triggered. And all power to MM and her staff for ensuring so with recent home and/or school event visits.

(After all, one does not want to be caught with nada late in the recruiting game calendar, like UConn and ND both were following the Aliyah Boston "hey, I''m going to South Carolina" development.)

From one perspective, I can see one fast, athletic disruptor on a team to counter similar types on the opposition. Does one need to invest into two of them when they're 5'7" (Hayes) and 5'8" (Kelly) respectively? Or is that where Kapinus, who is a solid 5'10" comes into play?

Plus, as Baba Ghanouj wrote to me in an e-mail, we didn't do so well when we once went after a point guard at the last minute due to a disruption. Has the proper due diligence been abbeviated to fill a slot?

Lastly, how would filling out the PG dancecard play out with 2021 point guards who there seems to be nutual interest in -- Ari Wiggins? Olivia Miles?

On the other hand, as Hemp points out, if ND is increasingly going to a Princeton-style offense and aggressive defense, maybe the Irish will need more guards with diverse skill sets to surround the passing post and counter the particular opposition that night. So, get used to a roster of a few posts, one or two agile forwards who can face the hoops on offense and rebound and play defense under the hoop.

I'm sure we'll all be watching what comes of this weekend with Kelly, if Kapinus is scheduled for a visit and if Clark comes or cancels.

In the meantime, I'll also cross figers and think positive thoughts regarding the forward in the bunch -- Ms. Maddy Westbeld -- who goes to Tennessee this weeknd and will then end her OVs with her fifth and final vist to South Bend, which hopefully she'll declare her final destination.

Stay tuned...

Funny. A number of months ago a poster here wondered.....
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-10-02 21:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we would take both Bueckers and Clark. Now that would have been a nice dilemma, although the obvious answer was YES.

Missing on too many high profile targets *
by maverick  (2019-10-02 23:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Recruiting (Pretty Long) Alittle Maybe
by hempfield75  (2019-10-02 17:19:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If she is having second thoughts about visiting. Maybe we are further
behind than I thought. I like what MM and staff is doing. Unlike previous
years. They are not going to get caught with their p*** down. So Kelly and
Kapinus are good back up plans. Also Dillon points out the 2021 class is
good for us at PG. Remember in recruiting you have to put atleast 2 classes
together.

...First the point guards. Wiggins and Olivia both have mutual interest.
Olivia has already been on campus and Wiggins pretty much lives there now.
They might as well give Wiggins a room at the hall now. She attends most
or all the home games.

...Next lets look at the athletic Clark we may lose. Who in the 2021 would
you guess has similar abilities. If you guess Ms Fudd you are correct.
But keep this in mind. There is already mutual interest between her and ND.
She knows the staff and some of the players. Plus there is Michaela and
Sam. She should relate well with Michaela. She would also be coached by
her if she attends ND. Remember Dillon brought up the age thing with
Michaela. That could be very important in communicating with Fudd. The
comfort level should be almost immediate.

...Probably the most important key in the recruiting of Fudd is her father.
He is hands on and is looking for more than a basketball school. He is
looking for a school and program he can trust is daughter with for the
next 4 years. Education is important to him as well as Ms Fudd. I read
that on this board before.

...There are some nice post players out there for us to go after. The
Canadian and Ms Adams are 2 off the top of my head.

...So the bottom line is this. It is not doom and gloom if Clark does
not come. There are great options out there. One player does not make or
break a team. Oh gee I almost forgot Maddy. Maddy will flat out enjoy her
trip if Clark does not come to visit. MM will through everything at her.
Plus they all no each other pretty good. I wonder if big sis may acompany
her on the visit. That would be very interesting.

...Final thoughts. Like I mentioned before in another post. Hayes
commitment is HUGE VERY HUGE. She gives MM more flexibility on who to
go after and what positions. I think Kelly or Kapinus will be a good if
not great compliment to Hayes until 2021 class. I am very excited about
this class so far. Kelly, Kapinus and Maddy are just icing on the cake.

If I am off on any of my thoughts. Please let me know. Ops my bust. Last
thought I promise. As mentioned before by myself Dillon and others. These
past classes, this one and 2021 are all about speed. There are shooters in
the classes but speed kills and that is what MM I believe is going after.
Did I mention I love recruiting...Thanks for reading this long post.

SEG/Chief

Fact Check: I have seen Ari Wiggins at one home game each
by MPG  (2019-10-02 22:34:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the last two seasons. She does not attend "most or all of the home games."

Wiggins
by hempfield75  (2019-10-03 15:50:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I stand corrected and apologize for my error. Being stuck in the Great NW
I go by what I read. I must have misread some posts.

Now I am trying to change that. Working on a game in November or early next
year. If it was up to me I would just live in a sleeping game outside the
arena.

SEG/Chief

Ms Clark seems to be a very careful person.
by sixtythreer  (2019-10-02 15:31:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How does she benefit by cancelling her OV to ND? With her will Iowa or Iowa State be powerhouses?
What are her chances of winning a National Champtionship at Iowa? At Iowa State? If she stays in Iowa does she enhance her chances of playing in the WNBA? My guess is she will keep her OV. After that, who knows ....

Maybe big fish in small pond type of thinking *
by nd67  (2019-10-02 16:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or an 18 year old who doesn't want to go far from home *
by NDLAW88  (2019-10-03 18:07:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ugh,ugh, and double ugh
by irishdds  (2019-10-02 12:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.......mostly because I think if we take Kelly than Clark is indeed left out. Secondly, why would take Hayes then. Hope we get Westbeld at least because Hayes and Kelly don’t move the needle for me. Just my opinion

Deja Kelly would be the highest ranked recruit in ND's class
by MPG  (2019-10-02 13:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if she chooses ND and Clark chooses Iowa. She is a big-time scoring guard and ND would be fortunate to have her. Hayes is more of an all around good player.

I wouldn't worry about rankings.
by bebo1226  (2019-10-02 14:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a whole lot of ranked girls who make up a "Whatever Happened To..."?? Check the transfer portal. Coach McGraw gets the most out of her players. The staff knows so much more than an observer with limited viewings of prospects.

Agree with this! *
by drmurray  (2019-10-02 14:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post