Could TurnThe Funnel Around On The Guard Situation...
by dillon77 (2019-10-02 13:12:49)
Edited on 2019-10-02 19:25:12

In reply to: Deja Kelly visiting ND this weekend.  posted by RISteve

...for months, many of us have operated that everything funnels down into a stream that leads to Caitlin Clark. We might have to reverse that. Why?
A source says that Clark may not make her planned official visit.

If that visit does not happen, all of these Hayes-Kelly-Kapinus activities would make a lot more sense (at least to me): if Clark has/is/possibly is staying in the state of Iowa, there should be options B or C in place that can be triggered. And all power to MM and her staff for ensuring so with recent home and/or school event visits.

(After all, one does not want to be caught with nada late in the recruiting game calendar, like UConn and ND both were following the Aliyah Boston "hey, I''m going to South Carolina" development.)

From one perspective, I can see one fast, athletic disruptor on a team to counter similar types on the opposition. Does one need to invest into two of them when they're 5'7" (Hayes) and 5'8" (Kelly) respectively? Or is that where Kapinus, who is a solid 5'10" comes into play?

Plus, as Baba Ghanouj wrote to me in an e-mail, we didn't do so well when we once went after a point guard at the last minute due to a disruption. Has the proper due diligence been abbeviated to fill a slot?

Lastly, how would filling out the PG dancecard play out with 2021 point guards who there seems to be nutual interest in -- Ari Wiggins? Olivia Miles?

On the other hand, as Hemp points out, if ND is increasingly going to a Princeton-style offense and aggressive defense, maybe the Irish will need more guards with diverse skill sets to surround the passing post and counter the particular opposition that night. So, get used to a roster of a few posts, one or two agile forwards who can face the hoops on offense and rebound and play defense under the hoop.

I'm sure we'll all be watching what comes of this weekend with Kelly, if Kapinus is scheduled for a visit and if Clark comes or cancels.

In the meantime, I'll also cross figers and think positive thoughts regarding the forward in the bunch -- Ms. Maddy Westbeld -- who goes to Tennessee this weeknd and will then end her OVs with her fifth and final vist to South Bend, which hopefully she'll declare her final destination.

Stay tuned...

Replies: