Notes from Today's Open Practice
by MPG (2019-10-08 21:17:14)
Edited on 2019-10-09 10:28:07

The women scrimmaged against the male practice players in two ten minute quarters. The men won both quarters,though the second one wasn't decided until the final minute. Observations from the scrimmage:
1. Mik and Marta are the vocal leaders and will be the captains based on what I saw today and have read since the summer.
2. Mik was everything that we want her to be in the low post,including rebounding on both ends, so I feel great about her. Rebounding was a major problem when she was not on the floor.
3. Marta is a strong lead guard, who distributed the ball well and played determined defense.
4. Anaya was the third best player for the women and will likely be a starter. She was good at both ends of the court
5. Sam is also likely to start. She displayed the best three point shot on the team and moved the ball well. She will need to work on her defense and rebounding.
6. Abby is likely to continue as the energy player off the bench and showed some good drives to the hoop.
7. Destinee Walker was able to play and looked rusty. She certainly has athletic ability and a good head for the game.
8. Danielle Cosgrove is more agile than last year, but still does not look like an ACC low-post player. When she and Sam were playing together on offense, they both played outside and took turns making cuts to the basket.
9. Nicole Benz, Katie Cole, and Katlyn Gilbert did not play. Muffet did say
that Katlyn will begin practice next week and is expected to play a major role, so assume that she will be the fifth starter.
10. Twin walk-ons were on the bench, but they were not the Quinns. Muffet mentioned their names and I think the last name was two syllables beginning
with H. One of them played in the last two minutes and looked to be a competent guard with some quickness.
11. Muffet stated that she prefers to have eleven scholarship players, but this year's roster will have eight scholarship players and five walk-ons. (I think she forgot that Katie Coles now has a scholarship, but we know what she means!)If the roster will be at thirteen with Coles on scholarship, then the four walk-ons are Benz, the H twins and ?
12. Muffet said that she hoped that the fans enjoyed last season's Big Macs because this year's team won't be approaching 88 points. She asked the fans for patience and lots of vocal support.
13. Recruiting Note: Muffet said that they have Four Commitments and hope to add a fifth. We can now begin guessing who is the silent fourth commit.
14. Michaela was the loudest coaching voice at the practice and was in close communication with Marta. As we suspected Anaya looked like the next option as the primary ball-handler.

That's all I have for now. I probably forgot something, so I'll review this in the morning.

Love these 'man-on-the-floor' reports. Make my day. *
by Jon  (2019-10-10 13:25:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the report. Out of town and couldn't make it. *
by tedstheman  (2019-10-09 08:17:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, one small nit (I know, all nits are small)
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-09 08:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have one fewer Danielle this year - Destinee Walker

Nit: fewer *
by PWK2  (2019-10-10 13:44:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, edit made
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-10 14:08:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I figured that's only fair

Thanks! Edit made... *
by MPG  (2019-10-09 10:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awesome report and insight.
by Dennis  (2019-10-09 01:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have been curious about what the make-up of the team would be and this helped a lot. I didn't think Anaya was a likely starter so see what I know. This report just seems very accurate to me so thanks for the insights as to where we are right now. This program has given us so much to enjoy and appreciate for a long time so I do, indeed, plan to be patient.

thanks! *
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-10-09 01:12:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope #13 is not true
by irishdds  (2019-10-08 21:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would mean getting both Clark and Westbeld unlikely. I really don’t like the way recruiting is going. Sorry JMHO. I do think Sam and Anaya are quality though and reports on Campbell are promising

Thanks for all the great info. *
by RISteve  (2019-10-09 07:20:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clark
by domer65  (2019-10-09 07:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is a game changer and fun to watch. I have been hoping she will end up Irish. If not, I guess I will be watching some Iowa or Iowa St. games just to see Clark play. I also watch the Ducks as much as possible to see the best player in women’s college basketball.

The possible silent commit could be someone visiting this
by MPG  (2019-10-08 22:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

weekend. For example, Maddy Westbeld has finished her other four visits and already knows ND well. Perhaps she has chosen ND and her OV will be the icing on the cake...on the other hand Deja Kelly and Leilani Kapinus are big-time talents. Kapinus, like Caitlin Clark, has kept a lid on her official and home visits. I have a recollection that Kapinus was in top twenty ranking territory before her knee injury a year ago.

That Would Garner a Big Thumbs-Up
by dillon77  (2019-10-09 10:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...because I'm sure many of us would love to have a Maddy Westbeld on board for all the reasons we've mentioned. Plus, while she's looked at as a wing or possible high-post positioned forward, she is 6'2" nonetheless and the Irish need overall team height.

Can't see it being Kelly if she's still taking two other OVs (Duke and Texas A&M).

As for Clark, like a few others, I'm just hoping to see her on campus come Friday, then see what plays out.

Thanks for the report...very informative and great to hear some concrete developments (like who is plaing). Marta S. playing in control does not surprise me..she was a solid court general of Tara at Stanford.

Great report! Thank you. Your deduction that it seems most
by sixtythreer  (2019-10-09 09:47:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

likely that Maddy Westbeld is the silent commit seems to be the most probable for the reasons you have stated. Additionally, Muffet sems to have loved Kat and the way she played, and Kat has a great career at ND. That can't hurt. If it's Maddy, great!

On the other hand, if it is Clark, Kelly or Kapinus, I will also be delighted.

Let's hope that
by maverick  (2019-10-08 22:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one of the two young ladies coming in this weekend is a "silent commit" and we can nail down the one who isn't this weekend

Reasonable.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-10-09 08:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post